Modified 2.0 CU (pics)

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gsmoke
80-90 Mem No: 2975

Modified 2.0 CU (pics)

Post by gsmoke »

It all started when I noticed oil dripping out of the exhaust.
One thing led to another and a quick top end rebuild mushroomed out of control.

Spec as follows,
Crankcase align bored with drilled and tapped oil galleries.
Crank journals polished, main bearing 0.50 x std.
Porsche 914 spec cam (bit more lift, same duration)
Conrods balanced and new small ends.
Crank, flywheel, clutch cover and fan dynamically balanced.
Solid lifters with aluminium pushrods.
Standard barrels honed, with match weighted pistons and new rings.
New heads, match ported.
All new bearings and seals.
My trusty dellorto 40 drla carbs.

I've built it to give a bit more performance than standard and all the balancing work will hopefully help with pickup and bit of mpg. The spec should give bags more torque and not compromise reliability (I hope).
All the machine work and advice has come from Jim Calvert at Stateside tuning and he's been first class.
Probably the hardest and longest job was rubbing down and re-spraying all the tinware, I stupidly managed to break my finger when I stripped the clutch so this and a lot of the engine build was done with one hand in plaster!
The first start up saw oil leaking from the flywheel oil seal so it had to come back out, thankfully it ran well this afternoon.
All I've got to do now is a few small jobs in the engine bay, run it in and go camping as much as poss!

I've really missed driving the old girl.

You've got to grind the oil pump bolts slightlyto clear the cam wheel bolts.

Oil galleries tapped for cleaning, theres two more the other end.

Finger out of plaster, some of my build was literally single handed!

Cant wait to do more of this!

covdubber

Re: Modified 2.0 CU (pics)

Post by covdubber »

thats really nice! i have the same type of motor to a simullar spec but the stock cam, where have you hooked up your vac advance/retard too to run the dellortos?

looks superb! hows she driving?

gsmoke

Post by gsmoke »

Hi Cov,
Vac advance goes to an anti pulse valve (recommended by Steve at Gasure) then on to carb. Retard has no hose but not blanked off. Jim Calvert suggested tapping the inlet manifold and attaching a pipe from there to the retard. I havent done this yet but I've run my dells for a year with the above spec and they've been excellent.
I've only got the engine going again this afternoon so I'll report back when I've got a few miles under my belt. I going to give her a good long run tomorrow, I can't wait.

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

looks really good, you'll have to tell me the differance of the cam change! jim at stateside is a bit of a yoda on the type fours & tuning them, i bought all my weber idf setup from jim & he adised tye same about drilling the intake for the retard in the dizzy, if your seems to be running ok with just advance at the moment then, cant wait for some updates, were you at stanford hall, i ask as i saw a van the same colour, my bus is also a devon moonraker 2.0 CU

forgot to add, if you weld some 12mm outer diameter tubing to each rocker cover & obviously then drill holes through the rocker cover into the tube so they are then rocker cover breather tubes, then run oil resistant tubing from each rocker cover, then to a oil catch tank or bugpack breather box & also run a tube from your engine breather to the oil catch tank or breather box it will decrease crankcase pressure, it prevents oil leaks & is far better for the motor to relaease its internal air pressure, jim advised me of doing this & a few other ppl

if you want to be a cheapskate you can put the 3 breather hoses into a empty coke can but your engine setup looks nice & clean & tiudy like mine so pick up a oil catch tank from RATSPORT (on the net) or a as i say a bugpack breather box, they come with all the fittings too, i'll get some pics of mine

gsmoke

Post by gsmoke »

Cov
The van looks good from about 30 feet away! I've rollered it and needs another coat of orange.
The sliding door needs a repair section on the bottom, hopefully later this year.
Funilly enough, a breather box is on my never ending list. La Performance do a sweet cylindrical one that would fit nice across the front tin. I'll google for ratsport though.
I wasn't at Stamford hall, but I hope to do loads of trips this year, I'd planned to go to Vanwest this weekend but the van wasn't ready.
The pic was taken was taken waiting for the ferry to Arran last Autumn.

sauce1001
80-90 Mem No: 2816

Post by sauce1001 »

Blood, sweat, numerous hospital visits and tears all worth it in the end mate!

Can't wait to see it. I'll be over this week!
1990 Multivan 1.9 AAZ

ricicles
80-90 Mem No: 6350

Post by ricicles »

that looks great . i bet it sounds fantastic.

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

took my time at getting a pic of my motor so far gsmoke, hopefully i'll have my twin weber idf's fitted tomorrow & i'll try to get it up & running!
my plan eventually is to fit MEGAJOLT mappable distrabuter-less ignition i have all the bits & figured out how & where to mount my trigger wheel & crank position senser, also need to add a small 3mm ID tube to my intak manifold for the megajolt ignition box, but thats a whilebefore i do that, i have to get this setup up & running properly 1st

mine is a stock 2.0 cu motor but it'll have a tubular manifold & more sporty better flowing exhaust, the heat-exchangers are gone! for heat i have a propex to fit & i'll t-piece a warm air feed from the propex to the screen!

i have cleaned up the heads & fitted a new valve as one of mine was burnt & had a hairline crack! all the valves have been cleaned up a re-lapped in for a gastight seal

if this CU engine or heads give up the ghost in the next 2 years i'd proboly go down the route of exchanging it for a 2.4 with fast road cam from TES

my motor so far

i'll try to do a vid or two when she's up & running

murdoch
80-90 Mem No: 1829

Post by murdoch »

Mmmmm, i'm on my second 2nd hand engine now, and i think i have valve issues with it now, so a stripdown or replacement is imminent, these two motors look the nuts though, i'll be watching for updates :ok
murdoch

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

i know its a bit off topic but whats ya troubles murdock? the 2.0 cu is a reliable motor but the electrics on the motor are all old now! a rolling road tune-up is also well worth the cash if you suspect you have fueling issues!

as i say i have to get mine up & running yet! :OD just doing things like changing all your spade end connecters for new ones & cleaning up all your electrical connections with sand paper makes a big differance!

aslong as mine go's aswell as it looks i'll be pretty chuffed

murdoch

Post by murdoch »

had the nearside head off for some exhaust stud replacement work, since putting it back on, the van now burns oil from that side. i have been under and checked for leaks and its all bone dry? stopping after even a short drive and it chuffs out smoke from around that head! the chap who did the work wont get anymore from me, complete "idiot" in my eyes :evil: , spinning me yarns and making me wait weeks!! if he wasn't recommended by a mate, my actions would have been a lot different.
i have another head in the garage that has the same exhaust stud issues, it needs helicoils or similar as a couple of the studs just fall out, need to find someone who knows what they are doing !!
murdoch

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

sounds like the valve guides are worn on that head!

if you have a word with lee-clewley, i've used him for head studs on mine but i had to get stepped studs which i got from the good lads at mega-bug! lee did a good job! real pleasant chap i know he is'nt local to you but if you give him a buz & say short-a*** dave from coventry recommended him! he's not the biggest fan of doing our type 4 motors/heads but i'd defo ring him again to sort any head woes! if the stud holes in yours are big he may drill them to 10mm & use 10mm studding, then you drill you heat-exchangers to 10mm & bolt it in-job done!

this is him below:
vw Aircooled engine services rebuild & reconditioning engine services, stock to mild performance engines, type 1 & type 2 engines only, engine upgrades, engine reconditioning, engines built to your spec from stock to mild performance, top end rebuilds, lightening & balancing service available, short blocks to long blocks rebuilds, reasonable prices, machining prices; crank regrind £55, (crank,flywheel,conrods & pistons) lightened & balanced for £110, valve guides supplied & fitted £10 each, helicoils 8mm/10mm/14mm(spark plug thread's), £10 each, labour costs; short block rebuild £95 labour ,(not including the parts & machine work), long block rebuild £125 labour ,(not including the parts & machine work), top end rebuild/upgrade £70 labour,(not including the parts & machine work), 8 x pushrod tubes & seals/gaskets suppied & fitted for £65 (with a FREE crank seal suppied & fitted,& a FREE health check on your heads)............... any enquiries please ring me on 07855 250256 or 02476 329489, or email me on lee.clewley@ntlworld.com

he's in nuneaton near coventry so ya'd probobly have to send ya head in the post or courier, he go's to some of the shows so you may be able to give ya head to him at a show & take it from there! hope this helps murdoch

murdoch

Post by murdoch »

i'll give him a ring, cheers !
murdoch

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

what carb linkage kit have you used gsmoke???

gsmoke

Post by gsmoke »

Hi Cov,
I bought the one sold by dellorto.co.uk.
Its branded as empi but seems idendical to the csp one. Its been fine.
How are you getting on with the webbers?