not the subaru conversion you were looking for

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ambivert
80-90 Mem No: 6378

not the subaru conversion you were looking for

Post by ambivert »

So, thinking about converting a UPS van into a camper, whilst looking for 'prior art' I found this...

BUT - THEN - on the same page I saw THIS...

FYI containing page is: http://www.rhinocarhire.com/Car-Hire-Bl ... -2009.aspx

Curiouser and curiouser, if you tyoe"ups van camper" into google images, the 2nd result goes to this...

FYI: http://home.earthlink.net/~johndolsen/index.html which looks really interesting, will have to take a look around... anything to do with anyone here?
1983 Devon Moonraker poptop 1.9 DG (early) lowered 50mm - Back on the road after 5 years of SORN!

armyphil
80-90 Mem No: 6328

Re: not the subaru conversion you were looking for

Post by armyphil »

There quite cool but what type of truck is a UPS wagen?? I've googles it bit can't come up with a manufacterer??
You can say alot of of things with "ar"

1984 syncro westfalia

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

armyphil wrote:There quite cool but what type of truck is a UPS wagen?? I've googles it bit can't come up with a manufacterer??

Im sure I read somewhere that most of the ups wagons are made using merc chassis and then converted?

Found this on the yank ones

The UPS package car (or van) is a major symbol of the U.S. business world, with its iconic status referenced in an early-2000s ad campaign following UPS' sponsorship of Dale Jarrett in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series: the ads were about how the company would prefer to race the truck over a stock car despite the futility of doing so, as "people love the truck".

The classic UPS package car is built on a General Motors or Ford chassis, has a manual transmission, manual steering, and no radio or air conditioning. The older ones are easily recognizable due to their round headlights and turn signals set onto a sculpted fiberglass hood. These are either Grumman Olson P-600 or P-800 step vans (a recent redesign changed the look, replacing the round turn signals with ovoid LED ones). The cars lack manufacturer's name or badges, thus parking tickets received against UPS for vehicles in delivery service have been dismissed in court; the enforcement officer having incorrectly identified the make on the ticket.

Newer package cars in North America have either a Freightliner Trucks or Navistar International chassis; automatic transmissions and power steering are slowly appearing in package cars. UPS also operates Dodge Sprinter box vans as well as Dodge Grand Caravan minivans.

UPS has ordered Modec electric vans for its UK and German fleets. Energy costs play a huge part in the potential profitability of package delivery companies like UPS, DHL and FedEx [10].

When package cars reach the end of their useful service life (typically 20–25 years or more), they are almost always dismantled for spare parts; the only exception being when they are repainted white for internal use.

When using non-proprietary trucks, such as Ford E-Series vans, Dodge Caravans, or Dodge Sprinters, UPS will often remove the vehicle badging as to not provide free advertising to the manufacturer.
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

armyphil
80-90 Mem No: 6328

Post by armyphil »

Seems like a big mixture of trucks then, apparently off another site they don't like yo sell them but scrap them to recoup money back???
You can say alot of of things with "ar"

1984 syncro westfalia

ambivert
80-90 Mem No: 6378

Post by ambivert »

armyphil wrote:Seems like a big mixture of trucks then, apparently off another site they don't like yo sell them but scrap them to recoup money back???

yeah, looks like that :( - the only way to get one is to steal it or get a job at UPS (and perhaps still have to steal it - but at least it would be easier)
1983 Devon Moonraker poptop 1.9 DG (early) lowered 50mm - Back on the road after 5 years of SORN!

v-lux
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2951

Post by v-lux »

Mate of mine tried to get hold of one of these a while back.

Found that they never sell them on in the UK, they export them back to the US after they have served their purpose with UPS...Shame, i think theyre great!