I Can Paint Roof? and Tyre Pressures

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dumpy
80-90 Mem No: 3486

I Can Paint Roof? and Tyre Pressures

Post by dumpy »

Hi all

2 questions to entertain your keen minds if I may....

1. The respray on my van is not too shabby, apart from the roof. Currently the van is (nearly) Tornado Red outside, and original Alpine White inside. I would like to respray the roof Alpine White to a: re-do the not very good job already done (prev owner), and b: provide a blank canvas for some awesome decals!

I got a quote from my local pain(t) shop who wanted £250 notes - I think this sounds a lot (just want from the gutters up).

Does this sound reasonable? I've been thinking about doing it myself - I've read the roller threads, but i'm not sure, and I want Alpine White to match the interior ideally - can you even buy VW paint in a non spray can?

2. I've got 16" Mercedes alloys on the van, and am never sure re: tyre pressures - do you go by what is right for the van, or for the tyre - any adivce would be appreciated.
1989 Converted Panel Van Tin Top

purplecrocs
80-90 Mem No: 7448

Re: I Can Paint Roof? and Tyre Pressures

Post by purplecrocs »

Just had my van resprayed, and the extra quote i got to do the roof at the same time was £150 + bit of extra paint

The paint you could get mixed up in a tin from the local auto paint suppliers... I assume you could apply it by brush. And just as a side note there are 2 shades of Alpine white apparently (thats what colour ours was just resprayed) - we had 'shade no.1'

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Re: I Can Paint Roof? and Tyre Pressures

Post by jamesc76 »

dumpy wrote: I got a quote from my local pain(t) shop who wanted £250 notes - I think this sounds a lot (just want from the gutters up).

Does this sound reasonable? I've been thinking about doing it myself - I've read the roller threads, but i'm not sure, and I want Alpine White to match the interior ideally - can you even buy VW paint in a non spray can?

£250 aint bad, when you think a good few hours prep to get it ready for paint, then masking up painting it then clear coats!!! Its only cheaper if its the paint shop all ready having work done as they can do it in one go!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB