going to make new door cards

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

zander
80-90 Mem No: 0

going to make new door cards

Post by zander »

After months of thinking about it im going to make some new door cards, I've bought some exteiror ply 9mm (Wickes £19.99 for 8x4 sheet)
and ive striped my old cards for template im past the point of no return, I'll get some pic's up later !!!

For now has anyone tried this ??

What Glue did you use i was thinking of just normal spray mount carpet glue ?

Fingers crossed !!!

zander

Re: going to make new door cards

Post by zander »

So far so good ive stapled the old card to the new board this stops it moving about allows to get all the holes marked without it slipping
going to cut it out in the morning, Then do a fit before re-fitting the old cover (carpet), But thinking of changing to real fake leather, but that would mean changing the rest of the panels..could be worth it??

cubensis
80-90 Mem No: 15337

Post by cubensis »

This door card refit was on our van when we first bought it, think its around 6mm ply all holes cut out just the same as the original door cards. We recovered these using spray adhesive, fairly quick and straight forward. We did all of ours in around 3 hours, after you get passed the driver door cards the rest are just square pretty much so it goes a bit quicker. One quick tip ive never tried but have been meaning to is to put foam underneath the leather or material to give it a padded feel (the type of foam that you can buy for really cheap underlay for carpets). Good luck!
1986 WBX 1.9 DG engine (originally a DF engine)

zander

Post by zander »

Thanks for your tip about the foam was thinking of doing something along the same lines,

Well i cut out the new card on 9mm ply just as i thought to thick could not get the poppers through so i thined it out to 6mm, Poppers fitted offerd up to door all lined up poppers and door pull spot on but still way to thick,
Going to pop down to the DIY shop get some hard board, but think i might treat it with some PVA on the back to stop any water problems, once all fitted im going for the real fake leather,

Ha well guess i need to give up have a beer and a carry out !!

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

my door trims are in excellent condition but the door cards have been wet at some time,is it possible to get the trims off the old cards without butchering them and fit them back onto new doorcards,or maybe cut the damaged bottoms off and maybe graft new bottoms on somehow?
Nil carborundum illegitimi

zander

Post by zander »

scottbott wrote:my door trims are in excellent condition but the door cards have been wet at some time,is it possible to get the trims off the old cards without butchering them and fit them back onto new doorcards,or maybe cut the damaged bottoms off and maybe graft new bottoms on somehow?

would prob say reaplace all the doorcard than part. cutting new ones put was simple i just used to thick a ply !!!

What trims do you have on you're doors any pic's ?? my door cards had handle, door pull and window winder (all black plastic)

Thinking of adding a door pocket and arm rest higher up at window level. Not sure about speakers have got a set of 6x9's that i want to fit but sound would be pants that low unless i angle them up into the cab.
going to be working on it after work this week will try do step by step pic's, if it works out well i'll post them ...he he

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

sorry no pics of doortrims,they are just the standard vw ones in brown with black plastic winders and levers etc,I was very kindly given an armrest from telsony at elemental on saturday,he thought they were from an austin maxi and are an absoulutely brilliant match to my door trim,just got to get a big self tapper from work to fit it

cubensis
80-90 Mem No: 15337

Post by cubensis »

Just a little more, hopefully helpful advice, i personally would not go the hardboard root, its so flimsy, I'd opt for 3mm ply, i couldn't remember if ours was 6 or 3 and it must be 3. Ply would be stronger, treated for moderate water resistance and easier to stick to on both sides in comparison to hardboard.

We had 6x9's in the door, and one problem was the fact that the sound travelled outside the single skin door so easily even after waxoiled and thermawrapped, don't know if you have late night beers with mates but it becomes a problem when the music is even cranked up a little bit! I put the 6x9's in the rear seat cupboard, the whole cupboard acts as a speaker and adds good low frequencies to the music. I then just put some midrange speakers in the front with tweeters, these can be faded in-between the front or back and work really well in my opinion, my main point being avoid low frequency speakers going in the external body i suppose.

Good look! hope you get the right sheet of wood for your needs!
1986 WBX 1.9 DG engine (originally a DF engine)

neilh
80-90 Mem No: 7853

Post by neilh »

We found the following material at Ikea

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20177903" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a plastic coated material of which we bought about 7 metres to do all of our interior trim cards. We've used some spare laminate floor (thin foam) underlay as padding and stuck this and the material on with spray glue. It's very effective and looks great.
The colour range from Ikea isn't very big but we like it. We're also doing the curtains in the same style, different colour and proper fabric.

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

As you've found out 9mm ply is way to thick.
I used 4mm for mine.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

cygnak
80-90 Mem No: 6770

Post by cygnak »

My Mrs made these she used wadding under the vinyl which gives it a nice padded feel. She used contact adhesive to attach fabric to door card was the best thing she found to stick as all the fancy glues didn't hold around the bends.

Simon and Nicola
Syncro Westfalia 1.9 DG LPG converted

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

look good