I'd love any opinions on these shocks/springs; anyone tried?

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

cubensis
80-90 Mem No: 15337

I'd love any opinions on these shocks/springs; anyone tried?

Post by cubensis »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-LOWERING-SPRING ... _500wt_956" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They seem a bit too good to be true but that's about the top we can afford, the brickwerks selection is very nice but too expensive unfortunately, we ant to lower the van by 30 or 40 mill and stiffen the suspension up with the shocks. If anyone has ever tried these an opinion on how you thought they where/are would be reat, thanks alot!
1986 WBX 1.9 DG engine (originally a DF engine)

chuckle-bus-tom
80-90 Mem No: 4368

Re: I'd love any opinions on these shocks/springs; anyone tried?

Post by chuckle-bus-tom »

I'd steer clear of them.

If your going to 40mm you can use your existing shocks, so unless your shocks are totally shot my advice is to spend that £200 on some springs from Brickwerks and do the shocks a bit further down the line.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

with new stuff.you pay cheap.you get cheap.i paid the extra to get my springs from brickwerks as i know baxter only sells quality stuff.plus its going to be a pain in the rump returning those should one of them snap whilst under warranty.if you dont want to splash out.put an ad in the wanted forum for some -30 caravelle springs..
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

cubensis

Post by cubensis »

Thanks alot for both of your replies, i was thinking of doing what you mentioned and replacing the springs now, shocks later.

The main thing i am trying to achieve is less body roll, its a high top so it rolls quite a bit when turning. I am assuming that putting 30mm more pressure on my current shocks will make them a little stiffer anyway? Or is this the wrong way of looking at it. Also lowering the centre of gravity can'y do any harm with the whole body roll issue.

Just one more quick question, shorter springs dont necessarily mean stiffer springs do they?

Thanks again! Cant wait to get it lowered it really needs it!

happy camper
80-90 Mem No: 7000

Post by happy camper »

Pm'd ya buddy, i got that kit on my van thats in daily use and i can't fault it great value for money, greatly reduces buffeting on motorways still gives a nice comfy ride and looks soooooooooooooooooooooooo cool.
I'm in my own lill world but its ok cos everyone here knows me !

chuckle-bus-tom
80-90 Mem No: 4368

Post by chuckle-bus-tom »

Even with a 30mm lowering it would be advisable to cut your bumpstops down a rib, and with 40mm probably two ribs. This prevents the compression on your shocks and therefore the risk of bottoming out on larger bumps in the road. So, no, installed properly shorter springs will not cause a stiffer ride (unless your going really low in which case shorter shocks are a must for comfort).

Some aftermarket makes of spring are stiffer than others, but this is mainly down to quality and manufacturers knowledge of the vehicles. Brickwerks is definateley a top company within the VW/T25 scene and their products are tried and tested by themselves, so I'd trust their judgment!

Having said all this, I have Just Kampers -60mm springs with standard shocks and 2 ribs cut off the bumpstops!

happy camper

Post by happy camper »

On old suspension :rofl And no its not a syncro :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
Last edited by happy camper on 07 Apr 2010, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

happy camper

Post by happy camper »

On new e-bay suspension :wink: 8)

cubensis

Post by cubensis »

Thanks alot ya'll! Seems very tempting! I know brickwerks is the best both for handling and in 5 years time it'll still be all good but if your on a budget theres nothing wrong with exploring other opportunities!

Happy Camper is very happy with his and the results look good from the pictures! Will add to this thread if i get them in about 2 - 3 weeks.

cubensis

Post by cubensis »

One more quick questions here to you helpfull folks!

Which do you think is best to scrimp on? The dampers or the springs?

In my view over time the springs would compress so they should have more money spent on them, but on the other hand cheap dampers are more likely to split/fail etc. Any further opinions on which is best to buy cheap would be great! Think of mixing the cheaper ebay dampers with decent Avo springs from brickwerks

trikepete
80-90 Mem No: 5874

Post by trikepete »

used this set up on my van done lots a miles go around looking for pot holes and speed humps just to test them out very happy with them i know they are cheap but the germans know their stuff when it comes to pimping the t25 so why all the bad feedback on these springs
god did not let us invent metal to only make paper clips v6 camper not in his plan that was my idea.

happy camper

Post by happy camper »

trikepete wrote:used this set up on my van done lots a miles go around looking for pot holes and speed humps just to test them out very happy with them i know they are cheap but the germans know their stuff when it comes to pimping the t25 so why all the bad feedback on these springs

Spot on fella, spot on ! :ok

cr9ig

Post by cr9ig »

Hi, I have been watching the same set-up and havn't been sure myself but as I am carrying a full suspension and brake rebuild among other things I really need to keep an eye on the budget. Seeing the reviews that have been posted here I do feel more confident about buying this set-up, however I have also been watching this set of Boge springs on Ebay and combining them with a set of Just Kampers budget sport shocks at £115, these were voted as the best budget shocks available by Camper & Bus magazine last month.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOGE-LOWERING-SPR ... 1c10363d3f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At a cost of £125 + postage it's not far of and should be of a good known quality, tell me what you think
Cheers
Craig

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

make sure you have the 21 mm antiroll bar fitted!

lots of vans have the 19mm one fitted!

none has the 23 but if you do thats even better

takes an hour to change and a cheap/easy upgrade that helps the problem your having

from the vans iv broke the 19mm is fitted to panel to caravelles, and so is the 21mm!

slip an open end 21mm(13/16 is a tad loose) spanner over yours and check it!

cubensis

Post by cubensis »

Just a quick update!

Van went in for a service today and got lowered at the same time, only driven it briefly in traffic but felt much better. Where hoping the shocks will bed in a bit yet and dip a little lower, mainly at the back. The mechanic was in agreement that unless its an ultra cool show vehicle then what's the point in fitting a £500 kit to a camper van? There are exceptions of course and everyone has different uses our camper van isn't a daily runner and gets used about twice a month. The kit was £230 and fitting was £75, Couldn't get the shocks from Germany people above this post reccomended as they wouldn't have arrived in time - went with these instead.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1692wt_939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They arrived within 48 hours have two year guarantee and are a make called Jom (jom.de). They came from cornwall so the british economy was also supported! Will give an update if there anything to report in a month or so.

Before pic on bottom, after pic on top, seems quite a suttle drop at the back at the minute hopefully it'll drop a little more yet. The ride seemed alot better though much less roll round roundabouts, will test it out properly soon.
Thanks for all the advice from the people in this thread!