Ceiling covering in rear.

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dumpy
80-90 Mem No: 3486

Ceiling covering in rear.

Post by dumpy »

Hi

I have covered my previously bare ceiling in (tis a tin top) lead flashing, then glued/taped a layer of foil insulation (the bubble wrap type stuff) over that, and now would like to ply/hardboard line.

Trouble is, I can't see the best way to do it.

I bought a sample piece of hardboard, and find this will bend right down to the top of the sliding door (twin slider), I can then cut out the ceiling vents and light hole through the hardboard - this is very aesthetically pleasing and then I can cover/paint with whatever.

However the largest hardboard size is not wide/long enough to get from the metal baton over the front seats to the middle baton, and then at the back there is no decent baton (though think I can overcome this).

Does anyone have any suggestions, having a join not supported by a baton doesn't seem right, I don't want it to be fragile. I would also like to be able to remove the lining if possible.

Because of the insulating, I don;t think I can glue carpet directly up there, and i'm not sure I could afford a 'proper' headling, as is in the cab.

One thought was to run batons along the length of the van, screwed at back, middle and front, but this would then lower the ceiling such that there would be a gap at the front - perhaps batoning afterwards (ie on top), could get some nicer wood and go for a yacht-esque feel!?

Please help, particularly if anyone has access to some plans for this.

Chris
Tin Top Twin Slider Cal-Punk-Rod in the Making
1989 Converted Panel Van Tin Top

sciroccotune
80-90 Mem No: 7521

Re: Ceiling covering in rear.

Post by sciroccotune »

I looking to do my van in a few months so would like to see what others have done.

My van had hardboard type stuff up but it had sagged and i removed it. I can take some pics of the ribs if you like.