Custom Dash

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dumpy
80-90 Mem No: 3486

Custom Dash

Post by dumpy »

I've been thinking for a while about a custom dash - the thought process has been as follows:

1. Increase the head unit hole to incorporate either a double din unit, or other gauges/controls - think i've seen someone on here do that?

2. Go further (famous last words), now i'm quite keen on this one and would appreciate some comments on how difficult it might be...

Remove the plastic unit with the controls/speedo etc and fabricate a larger (longer anyway) version of the same thing (I guess with a hinged lid or similar for access), and replace/refit all the dials and warning lights etc in a 'custom' design (i'm going cal look hot rod) - this unit could be long enough. to fit my stereo in properly (see previous Alpine/head unit postings).

So some questions...

a. any general drawbacks to this?
b. if i stick to VDO gauges, will the existing hardware/sensors work plug and play?
c. i can't weld, so would probably get someone to do this - unless a vinyl covered mdf number would cut if, any thoughts?
d. any ideas to take this further....

If I do it, i'll do a stage by stage photo diary for on here, but want to gather some info first....

Finally....

Somebody (possibly named Matt? - couldn't read the name) put a note on my van in the Mendips over the weekend, just saying how nice it was - it absolutely made my day, so just wanted to say thank you and see if they were on here at all....
1989 Converted Panel Van Tin Top

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: Custom Dash

Post by Titus A Duxass »

dumpy wrote:
Remove the plastic unit with the controls/speedo etc and fabricate a larger (longer anyway) version of the same thing (I guess with a hinged lid or similar for access), and replace/refit all the dials and warning lights etc in a 'custom' design (i'm going cal look hot rod) - this unit could be long enough. to fit my stereo in properly (see previous Alpine/head unit postings).
If I do it, i'll do a stage by stage photo diary for on here, but want to gather some info first....
I've seen a varation on this, the Jaeger bus that featured on German TV has an extended instrument binnacle. This was constructed from a standard binnacle that was bonded to the side of the existing one. I have tried to replicate this but have yet to find a suitable glue, I think it may have to be plastic welded.

dumpy wrote: Somebody (possibly named Matt? - couldn't read the name) put a note on my van in the Mendips over the weekend, just saying how nice it was - it absolutely made my day, so just wanted to say thank you and see if they were on here at all....
This happens, it's all part of the spirit.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Watch this video, about 06:39 in starts the bit about the instrument binnacle.

http://www.kabeleins.de/auto/videos/son ... kel/12862/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

georgeIRL
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by georgeIRL »

Titus A Duxass wrote:
dumpy wrote:
I've seen a varation on this, the Jaeger bus that featured on German TV has an extended instrument binnacle. This was constructed from a standard binnacle that was bonded to the side of the existing one. I have tried to replicate this but have yet to find a suitable glue, I think it may have to be plastic welded.

would fibreglass resin not be strong enough

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

like the German binnicle!!!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

vwdude

Post by vwdude »

This is one great video other than plastic welding it should be possible to fibreglass the two together on the inside fill the outer with filler then cover with a suitable material.

dumpy

Post by dumpy »

The van on that video is amazing throughout, and the binnacle is very cool.

I'm thinking more fully custom however... using all the leds as they are, just refitted into my own design - so what I really need to know is (as i'm not so technically minded) is whether 'new' VDO gauges like you might put in a kit car would fit with the existing sensors?

I guess i'd need:

Speedo
Clock
Temp Gauge
Fuel Gauge

As standard, but then would also like a battery level indicator...

I've got aircraft style toggle switches that I can wire the light controls, heated window etc.... if that's possible.

Has anyone attempted anything like this.

My very original thought was to do away with the binnable altogether, but of course you need to maintain access to the filler bottle under it dontcha?

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

dumpy wrote: My very original thought was to do away with the binnable altogether, but of course you need to maintain access to the filler bottle under it dontcha?

Do you mean the brake/clutch reservior?
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

dumpy

Post by dumpy »

exactly, if it didn't stand proud of the dash, it would be quite nice to make a fully flush dash and put the gauges etc perhaps in a console - haven't really thought it through...

in any case, the tank IS there, so something to fit over the top would be required.

MrH29

Post by MrH29 »

I also thinking about customising my dash, however I'm keeping the binnacle as it is.
We have a covering shop at work with hundreds of various materials from high end leathers to nice suede's. We only really cover flat or curved surfaces due to the nature of the work. I was wondering if you would have to coat the dash in a contact adhesive to cover it. I know the hardest part to cover would be the binnacle too, due to its shape.
I was thinking of getting it flocked but decided against it.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

You need to consider that the VW temp gauge includes the coolant level warning led and 'chip' to trigger it! You could remove these and have the LED and internal circuit elsewhere but you will have to wire it correctly to the replacement guage. The warning LED's Voltage regulator, BOD (if fitted), etc have their own associated components in order for them to function so a PCB of some sort will be needed as well.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

dumpy

Post by dumpy »

I think that last post was the sort of problem that I feared may exist and wasn't sure.

I might rein my ideas in a little, perhaps a couple of extra gauges somewhere else would do it! - maybe revert to my original (post 1) idea and just make a secondary unit - the extended binnacle in the vid looks awesome also... I don't know, some more thought required I think....

The aircraft toggle switches would look cool over the rear view mirror (like new minis?), but I have a sunroof so there isn't a great deal of room for a full blown console as has been discussed in this forum previously.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Titus A Duxass wrote:Watch this video, about 06:39 in starts the bit about the instrument binnacle.

http://www.kabeleins.de/auto/videos/son ... kel/12862/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just watched the vid. Bleddy Germans! Why do they have to do everything so well? Meisters!
Shame that they completely spoiled that binnacle by sticking pozidriv screws right through the front :?
Got me thinking now :ok

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

silverbullet wrote:
Titus A Duxass wrote:Watch this video, about 06:39 in starts the bit about the instrument binnacle.

Just watched the vid. Bleddy Germans! Why do they have to do everything so well? Meisters!

Meisters! That's pure fallacy. I've worked alongside/with them for 11 years. Meisters they are not.
I'd rather have a team of Brits any time.

If you gave Syncronuts or Baxter the same amount of money they'd build something better (i.e. without the useless roll cage).
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

Some links to custom dash threads:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... ified+dash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... ified+dash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... light=dash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS