Rear Mudflap Fitting Issues

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dumpy
80-90 Mem No: 3486

Rear Mudflap Fitting Issues

Post by dumpy »

Ladles and Jellyspoons (my dad always said that and i cringed, now i'm growing to like it, is this age creeping up on me?)

I splashed out on 4 lovely OEM mudflaps for the 'Van's Spring Makeover' (soon to be shown on UK Bilge +1).

I'm having trouble with the rear ones, the fronts came with destructions, and they went on fine. I've emailed JK where I got them and they have sent responses, but I don't seem to be explaining myself very well to them, and not getting the answers I need.

The kit list is:

2 x rear mudflaps
2 x 90 deg twisted steel fitment for what I will call 'inside' edge (ie, not the 'outside' edge, being the wheel arch)
4 x clamps with screws for tightening over the lip of the wheel arch.

OK, firstly they do not fit that well, the lip on my wheel arch seems wider than the plastic gully it is supposed to fit in, perhaps has been repaired at some point and re-rolled?

Secondly, when I put the clamping arm where it seems apprpropriate (on the flange lip on part of the chassis?), this doesn't line up with the hold in the mudflap without a good bit of persuasion, this doesn't seem 'veedub'.

So, I would suggest that there should be a hole in this chassis part to accept the screw (there isn't a stock one from what I can see - which seems odd if this is a VW kit), plus, the screw clamps to fit over the lip of the wheel arch just don't seem well fitting either - again perhaps there ought to be holes for this - JK think not.

Has anyone any experience of this... they're just not fitting like the front ones did, ie really well.

Many thanks for your reponses.
1989 Converted Panel Van Tin Top

big red bus
80-90 Mem No: 3421

Re: Rear Mudflap Fitting Issues

Post by big red bus »

Rears on mine fit well. " small brackets clamp the flap on to the arch and the long twisted bracket holds it onto the chassis rail. There is no hole the bolt tightens up to pinch the bracket to the chassis rail. Should only take 5 minutes to fit. Still having probs get some pics on. Good luck :ok

simony
80-90 Mem No: 3423

Re: Rear Mudflap Fitting Issues

Post by simony »

dont no if this is any help i used the bar supplied but used self tapping screws to fix the actual mud flap to the wheel arch didnt think much to the clips
simon