which shock absorbers?

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

samk
80-90 Mem No: 6330

which shock absorbers?

Post by samk »

yes sorry, another lowering post!

looks like i'll be getting my hands on some 2nd hand springs for a reasonable price. They are JK ones that were advertised as -60 but the seller says thy are more like -70 fitted. I'm a little nervous that this might be a bit too low for my van (factory camper) but it's worth a shot!

Any recommendations on which shock absorbers to get? bearing in mind that I have to do this on a very tight budget! any good affordable shocks up to the job?

thanks,

Sam
83 2ltr Air-Cooled Autohomes Kamper. Kamper roof died. Fitted an original Westy Pop-top.

ricicles
80-90 Mem No: 6350

Re: which shock absorbers?

Post by ricicles »

i had the jk hd ones on mine for a wile and they had less damping than the worn out originals. got avo adjustables on now and they work well. i got mine from la performance.

Pepperami
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 4608

Post by Pepperami »

Dont buy Jk suspension especially second hand. mine was completely shagged within 2 years.
fullthrottlejunkies.org

jason k
80-90 Mem No: 1959

Post by jason k »

jk springs are gash.

save up and buy proper , buy once.

avos are a good balance and value for money.

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for prices!!
98 Westfalia James Cook

samk

Post by samk »

oh no, are JK springs that bad??

I've been checking on brickwerks etc but cant afford the prices at the moment - so annoying!
83 2ltr Air-Cooled Autohomes Kamper. Kamper roof died. Fitted an original Westy Pop-top.

ricicles

Post by ricicles »

they are pants :!: i saw the state of pepps, they seem to be variable though so you might get lucky, i had some on mine and sold them on, i know they van they are on now and they are still ok. the ride is much much better with the avo,s, i would recomend do it once, each time you do it you will need the tracking and camber resetting and it can work out costly.

samk

Post by samk »

appreciate all the warnings but think i'm gonna try the springs. Worth it for the price and if i have to change in the near future it was worth taking a risk. will try and fit decent shocks to give potentially ropey springs a chance!

Sam

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Post by nesty »

I got AVO shocks and HR Green springs on mine. I got them from Brickwerks. Not cheap but the spring/shock combo is very smooth ride!
Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

samk

Post by samk »

seems like everyones going for second hand JK springs in this current climate

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8477436.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :lol:

ricicles

Post by ricicles »

:mrgreen:

wigster
80-90 Mem No: 7450

Post by wigster »

I ran jaykay on my t4, they were pants, even tho I don't carry a load they were almost coilbound in the first year :( I have AVO's 70's from baxter and would say they are a hundred times better even the coating is staying on at the mo :)
HOW MUCH!
1987 1.9tdi pug powered twin slider velle

samk

Post by samk »

managed to source some 2nd hand gmax shox - thanks all for the advice. I may well end up sourcing more expensive items in the future but for now it's worth giving these a bash as they came at a reasonable price!

happy camper
80-90 Mem No: 7000

Post by happy camper »

I have this kit fitted and think its brilliant value, she Sits nice handles better and still rides lovely, if yours is a camper then get the lift plates from brickwerks as well to ensure she sits nice and level :ok

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-LOWERING-SPRING ... 518fe6b411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm in my own lill world but its ok cos everyone here knows me !

faggie

Post by faggie »

i used to run jk springs then avo and now on h/r what a difference the h/r made to ride quality and handling , i would never buy cheap springs again