metallic paint

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

colouredFunk
80-90 Mem No: 0

metallic paint

Post by colouredFunk »

Hi All!

I'm getting my van sprayed a metallic blue :-

http://www.lookers.co.uk/_includes/imag ... V07SZZ.jpg

But the paintshop warned me that I might get a slight ripple effect on some of the straight panels, due to the painting being Metallic...

Should I be worried about this, I kinda of think that it's the guys being a bit of perfectionist....?

Cheers

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: metallic paint

Post by R0B »

that statement would put me right off.considering the amount of straight panels these vans have..

I might get a slight ripple effect on some of the straight panels
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

WHS i`d be very weary if you are paying good money for a paint job and getting comment like that. if the prep is done right and they dont skimp on the base coat once the laquer is on and polished up it should end up like a new car or better.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

BETTYBRICK
80-90 Mem No: 7643

Post by BETTYBRICK »

Hello
I am a car sprayer and in my opinion I would go elsewhere.
The only reason you would have ripples are if the panels are not straight.
If the sprayer gets ripples in his base coat then theres something wrong !
It does depend how much you pay tho you get what you pay for with vehicle prep and painting.

hope that helps
Leigh
1981 Holdsworth Villa 2.0 A\C converted to 1.9 TDI 90 bhp

mellowyellow
80-90 Mem No: 3646

Post by mellowyellow »

The bodyshop is correct, the panels on these vans are a bugger to get perfectly straight.
If the shop you take it to is doing the proper job i.e full body resto and you are payin good £££ then they should get all the panels perfect and straight.
But if your payin for a flash over, if they are simply keying the surface and changing colour then you will get alot of ripples plus the dents/high spots will stand out.
My opinon is if you want a cheap job that will look good then just choose a good light colour then the dents/ripples won't show as much.There are plenty of nice pastel blues about.

I've worked in the trade for over 15 years as a painter but now do estimating- the price diff between a flash over and a resto will be £1000's.....
BUT if you are a bit handy and have time/space why not have a go at a bit of prep work yourself? I would however pick a bodyshop for the painting, then ask the advice of the people working there how they would like you to prep the bus.

If i can help in anyway if you do decide to prep the bus yourself then just drop us a line and i'll do my best to help :ok