Vinyl wrap that van?!

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sirbraunstonquiffqc

Vinyl wrap that van?!

Post by sirbraunstonquiffqc »

I'm keen to protect my pride and joy with a full vinyl wrap covering. This weather and the lack of protection on my van is getting me down. Can anyone offer advice or point me in the direction of a reputable firm? What prep work is required? What is the cost? I've seen some plain matt grey finish wrappings that look fantastic. When the time and funds become available surely you can then unwrap and respray? An unmolested grey bodied T25 with white pop top.........bliss.

wigster
80-90 Mem No: 7450

Re: Vinyl wrap that van?!

Post by wigster »

dude, depends on your location, I'm in N,Yorks, and there is a company called 'dogtoothsigns' up here thats been doing some cars and buses, they have a baywindow pro-mo bus I think, and a gallery on their webbie if it's any help.....wig
HOW MUCH!
1987 1.9tdi pug powered twin slider velle

sirbraunstonquiffqc

I dunno.How much is a good basic solid re-spray? Is a vinyl wrap a good alternative until you have sufficient funds available for a good re-spray? My van is in fair nick i would say. The underneath is rock solid and waxoyled,i have small signs of some seam rust (typical!) and i would ideally like to replace the wheel arches before a re-spray. Questions,questions........

wigster
80-90 Mem No: 7450

Post by wigster »

my guess is there probably isn't much difference in cost between a pait job and a wrap, I think wrapping is just easier if you are wanting a complex design, ie you can transfer a photo or weird pattern via computer onto the wrap before it is applied (in leymens terms) a wrap could be a couple o grand when the same airbrush would be 5k sort of..ish
HOW MUCH!
1987 1.9tdi pug powered twin slider velle

CycloneMike
80-90 Mem No: 3787

Post by CycloneMike »

Its worth having a look at this site if you are interested in this stuff, but sorry no prices still.
http://www.astsigns.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is a good time lapse film of an Eddie Sobbart truck being wrapped!
I see their promo Mini quite often and it looks very good
They should manage a van no problem as they wrap trains too!
NO PIES CAKES OR BEER LEFT IN THIS VAN OVERNIGHT.
Member Number 3787

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Post by eatcustard »

The only problem with the wrap is, it hides the rust, so it gets worse without you knowing :shock:
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

sirbraunstonquiffqc

I'm hearing you eatcustard. We don't agree on rat look T25's but we do agree on vinyl wrapping!

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

not only hides rust, but holds moisture! Many rust problems are moisture from inside / behind panel seams.
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS

happy camper
80-90 Mem No: 7000

Post by happy camper »

If or When the lower half of my van starts to look a little worse for wear i'm defo gonna get the lower half of my van vynal wrapped, its gotta be better than paint, no masking up or flatting down no over spray and if defo don't hold moisture as its 100% bonded to the full skin and if its good enough for a ferrari then its good enough for me :wink:
I'm in my own lill world but its ok cos everyone here knows me !

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Post by eatcustard »

Do Ferraris rust from the inside out as in T25s?
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

happy camper
80-90 Mem No: 7000

Post by happy camper »

eatcustard wrote:Do Ferraris rust from the inside out as in T25s?

very much doubt it but if the rots cut out welded, filled and sanded prior to applying the wrap then it should offer greater protection than paint then theres no masking and no waiting for coats to dry and if your painting your van yourself you aint gonna have to plan the weather either, it gets my :ok
I'm in my own lill world but its ok cos everyone here knows me !

texasuk
80-90 Mem No: 7673

Post by texasuk »

I got my Smart Roadster wrapped last year, and I was pleased with the results

I had it wrapped by this lot - http://www.raccoon.co.uk/ - and I was pleased with both the quality and the service. I think they broke one of my headlights while they were doing it, but I couldn't prove it and had to take the hit, so I was a bit miffed but it still looks good.
When I say it looks good I mean it looks painted until you notice some small seams round the headlights, or the one or two little edges that couldn't be hidden.
I don't see any problems with moisture, and it is so thin that any rust will show through as bumps very quickly. In fact thats the one thing, the roadster is so new and made of plastic that it won't have that problem, older cars / vans may not be such good subjects.