Rat look T25?

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hairyuk
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Rat look T25?

Post by hairyuk »

they're just not old enough to make good rusty looking rats. if your into that sort of look your better off buying a rotten old t2 and getting that on the road

PEET
80-90 Mem No: 2528

Post by PEET »

I'm not dissing old vans - i I likes em all from matt hand painted or ex army or jus plain original but rusty n used but making a good van look deliberately rat is tat n for T2s.
Thats PEET as in FEET!!!

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

[quote="billy739Image[/quote]
Now as someone who likes shiney things and worries (a lot) about using car parks, that is pretty cool. Slammed and on some decent hoops it would be "the don" as they say.
Somebody buy it!

texasuk
80-90 Mem No: 7673

Post by texasuk »

You think so? Looks like a piece of crap to me, needs burying. Now if it was a splitty it might be worth it.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

I am merely "agent provocateur".
Some goon will search it out and it'll be in Camper and Bus before you know it.

sirbraunstonquiffqc

Post by sirbraunstonquiffqc »

I like things that look like pieces of crap but hide a whole host of goodies and subtle modifications. Good wheels,performance exhaust,tidy engine.....Nice to surprise people when you can take off really well from lights....looking like crap but going like stink! You mark my words,another ten years time and rat T25's will be hot. Why should there be any rules? Why do bays and splits have to have all the fun? Who makes the rules and who obeys them?

samk
80-90 Mem No: 6330

Post by samk »

there are a few nice ones here

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/ratty ... 45974.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :ok
83 2ltr Air-Cooled Autohomes Kamper. Kamper roof died. Fitted an original Westy Pop-top.

mark1967
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by mark1967 »

billy739 wrote:Image
]

Passed this van the other week while working in gloucester I think.If I remember right it was parked at the side of a garage.Didnt imagine it would be anything to do with anyone on here :o

ricicles
80-90 Mem No: 6350

Post by ricicles »

been having a look at this thread over the last few days and had some thoughts. is rat look different from camo/matt? i sort of like the matt thing, it got me thinking about simon baxters olive green panel that was running on porsche rims, i liked that a lot :D for me "rat" look is a vehicle that has just been dragged out of a barn or a desert, got running and put on the road, sort of waiting for the full resto.i think that there is a big difference between that and a poorly maintained vehicle. "patina"is another thing i think. there are areas on our buses that wear with use, the paint on my side of the wheel arch is worn away to bare shiny metal. its my fat butt that did it, so it sort of personalises the van so i like that it even works when the van is super clean and polished and the years of polishing has worn away the top coat of paint showing primer ditto steering wheels etc. but i am not keen on ignoring rust as it will eat away your van. its great for some to have magazine featured rat looks and as most mag featured vans seem to be for sale at the end of the write up they need not worry. as soon as you start to chop out the rot your rat look will become false as you put paint on it to protect it from the elements.the other nonsense that goes on with it is to put loads of stuff on top of your van that you are never likley to use:- 50 year old coolers, bikes that were appaling to ride 30 years ago and suitcases made from cardboard. can anyone explain that? i think i am with peets van, its a nice clean camper that over the years will have a few signs of wear it will get dirty if its used and if it shows a few rust bubbles then hopfully they will be treated. do not get me wrong i also think pep is spot on in saying that a sleeper is great, so for me the perfect combo is the tidy camper with well looked after mechs, and a tweaked motor. what s great about this club is that as long as its a type 25 its good.

Tatty Chap
80-90 Mem No: 5626

Post by Tatty Chap »

Been thinking about this one.

Each person probably has a different view on what "RAT" is.

"Rat-bikes" were generally cobbled together mean smelly biker street fighter type machines. (Not a lot of care, and attention)
The VW rats, tend to be a bit more steam-punk / alternative history looking. ( A lot of care and attention, despite appearances), and this works as splitties look so weird these days anyway.

The trouble for me is that the T25 isnt a BEAST engine wise, and, its even now, still pretty regular looking on the modern road.
Someone soon will nail it, and set the ball rolling, but for me a tatty van, will just be a tatty van (which i quite like, as im not into showroom shiners).
The beauty of a tatty van, is you can do what you like with it, and not worry too much.

I think we have a tatty class, but I wouldnt say we have a proper RAT yet, altho some are beginning to get there
2.0l 1983 Aircooled Hitop

samk
80-90 Mem No: 6330

Post by samk »

this one gets it right a a style and look :ok

photos nicked from the Samba
83 2ltr Air-Cooled Autohomes Kamper. Kamper roof died. Fitted an original Westy Pop-top.

wigster
80-90 Mem No: 7450

Post by wigster »

oh yes :ok now we're talking, give me that everytime rock hard ,(and suspension by the look) not the noncey gleam gleam polish polish, can't take the bus today there's a cloud in the sky type :rollin
HOW MUCH!
1987 1.9tdi pug powered twin slider velle

Tatty Chap
80-90 Mem No: 5626

Post by Tatty Chap »

Thats insane.

Reckon the pristine headlights and grille let it down tho

Love the brick lol
2.0l 1983 Aircooled Hitop

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

OHA No 13 ...."old hairy ar$e #13" :lol: That's how it should be done!
Wonder if the owner's English is good enough for them to realize?
I've just got some Corrado mirrors off the ejumble to fit to mine too...Who cares if you can't see out the back? :shock:

P.S. back to the UK: you don't see too many sign written vans at all, so "The Summit" should be saved!