Window Tinting

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Gandalf
80-90 Mem No: 7510

Window Tinting

Post by Gandalf »

Anyone know what the regs are on window tinting? Ie where you can put it (oooeerr) and how dark it can be etc etc.

Thanks
1989 California Pop Top.

very_bland
80-90 Mem No: 7610

Re: Window Tinting

Post by very_bland »

I have read that behind the B Pillar (i.e rear windows and screen) there are no tiniting limits, anything is fair game. The fronts I am a little more hazy on... I've read both that:

a) tinting is absolutely forbidden on both front windows and screen
b) tinting that allows 70% of light is permitted on front windows and allows 75% of light on screen (NOTE Allows, not blocks!)

I'm sure a bit of googling could demystify the above!

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Cheers - looks like everything behind the drivers seat then.
1989 California Pop Top.

very_bland
80-90 Mem No: 7610

Post by very_bland »

I think that's probably best. When you are driving at night, maximum light penetration (giggle) of the windscreen is quite useful.

texasuk
80-90 Mem No: 7673

Post by texasuk »

Has anyone done this with the film from Halfords? I bought some the other day so that I can get changed in the van with a little privacy, but the instructions make it sound like you have to have a degree in material manipulation.

So if anyone has used it and can report the best method and any tips I would be grateful. Guess it didn't have to be on a T3 either.

windysurfer
80-90 Mem No: 3805

Post by windysurfer »

If Carlsberg made Coachbuilts...........Image T4 Karmann Colorado

happy camper
80-90 Mem No: 7000

Post by happy camper »

Cost me £180 to have my rears limo tinted and the fronts light smoked, it makes a huge differance to the interior of the van so much cooler in the summer and keeps people from snouting in ya van, it also makes the windows harder to break by theivin scum.

The other great thing about tints on a camper is that when you're on a campsite you can wake up and lay in ya bed and people watch, they haven't got a clue that your watching either, also when going in to events get one of the kids sat in the front and just pay for one adult and a child while the wifey and other child are all tucked up in the back.

The only thing to be aware of is at night if you have a light on in the van then people outside will be able to see in :wink:
I'm in my own lill world but its ok cos everyone here knows me !

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Cheers HC - I've requested a quote as when reading Baxters "how to" on the Brick Yard he seems to be advocating to get a pro to do it. I'm pretty sure I could manage the more straight forward windows but the one on the nearside rear is gonna be a bugger as the wardrobe is obscuring half of it!
1989 California Pop Top.

happy camper
80-90 Mem No: 7000

Post by happy camper »

Get a pro to do it mate as they take all the glass out and do it properly ie heat the film to fit the curves not cut and join :wink:
I'm in my own lill world but its ok cos everyone here knows me !

Westy End
80-90 Mem No: 7733

Post by Westy End »

looks like the rules depend on when your van was made. 70% transparency pre '85 and 75% post

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/T ... 202008.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

maybe you should put very big sunglasses on the van instead - you'd look the grooviest thing around.....
....========¬====¬
.../-/--|----||---\-----‴-----\
..#/__|__ ||__❚[\_____⌒ _\›
.|======|===[ ❑❑ΞⓦΞ❑❑]
[⎛⎞...|.....|⎛⎞ [ ‹=====›]
-⎝⎠\_|__ /⎝⎠ ⫅=====⫆⎠ (apologies to jed the spread)

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

How do people do the sliding window??

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Just got a quote for all the the windows behind the drivers seat £280!! Was expecting between £150 - £200. I'll keep trying tho' or pluck up the courage to do it myself. I've got to sort something tho as the previous owner has put a light purple tint film over the windows (not very well either) and when your sat inside its bloody pink - think tarts boudoir! :lol:
1989 California Pop Top.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

And whats wrong with "Tarts and a boudwoir" ? :rofl
mike

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Post by nesty »

Anyone had some quotes for window tinting? I am getting quoted around the £280 for mine? This is for all windows behind B Pillar lino & front windows 50% tint.

Nesty
Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

CycloneMike
80-90 Mem No: 3787

Post by CycloneMike »

nesty wrote:Anyone had some quotes for window tinting? I am getting quoted around the £280 for mine? This is for all windows behind B Pillar lino & front windows 50% tint.

Nesty
I wouldn't pay anything to have the front windows tinted to 50% because sooner or later you could be made to take it off. You also risk having your van prohibited which might also be a pain.
NO PIES CAKES OR BEER LEFT IN THIS VAN OVERNIGHT.
Member Number 3787