Stereo'n'speakers

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

very_bland
80-90 Mem No: 7610

Stereo'n'speakers

Post by very_bland »

Right, I want a stereo system in my van, with the bast sound my (rather limited) funds can afford. Why are auto-speakers and stereos so damn expensive? Are they more robust than home stereo equipment? I can understand that the stereo unit will have better anti-skip technology...but other than that, I can think of no more reasons why these systems are so expensive.

I don't really want to play CD's as I'm fed up with them being destroyed everytime I leave the house, and I have an ipod anyway. So all I need is a amplifier head, and some speakers really, so is there any reason why I could not just install a head unit and home cinema surround sound system into my van, as you can get all that for around £100, including a subwoofer, and 6 small speakers.

Even if I place these speakers with pleanty of thought, and insulated them properly with carpet and foam, will this system still sound poo? Anybody had any experience of installing home audio into vehicles?

Cheers in advance.

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Re: Stereo'n'speakers

Post by eatcustard »

very_bland wrote: I don't really want to play CD's as I'm fed up with them being destroyed everytime I leave the house, and I have an ipod anyway. So all I need is a amplifier head, and some speakers really, so is there any reason why I could not just install a head unit and home cinema surround sound system into my van, as you can get all that for around £100, including a subwoofer, and 6 small speakers.

Even if I place these speakers with pleanty of thought, and insulated them properly with carpet and foam, will this system still sound poo? Anybody had any experience of installing home audio into vehicles?

Cheers in advance.

It will sound pants.

Do it properly or don't do it at all. :D
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

very_bland

Post by very_bland »

:lol: Ok, I'll be saving up for a bit then.

In what way are speakers designed for vehicles superior for use in a vehicle than those designed for the home? Because the price difference is ridiculous.

I know that that question sort of answers itself, but in what way are they designed differently.

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

hi mate,

Right, in my van I have a cheap (£40) stereo with jack and sd and usb input. An Aldi special.

Then, VWcamperfan showed me the light with a creative inspire home surround system that conveniently works of 12V. He has one and it sounds, well fantastic. (to me anyways). He also has a 2000w amp though! I now have the same system to go in - came off e-bay for around £50 - thats the amp, and 5 satellite speakers and the sub woofer. It is sooooo clever that it can make right and left into 5.1 surround if you want it to!! But it is essentially either a home cinema or pc system.

I have also bought, for the princely sum of £26 (again from ebay) a tt200 cambridge system (i think)- also runs frm 12v power supply, for the other van. Not as pretty or as clever, but still a good deal cheaper than the automotive stuff. (theatre system says input 15v, but should be ok on 12). see here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CREATIVE-THEATER- ... 588463f9af" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; then find the manual online by googling the model number etc etc.

And, as long as you are happy with the sound, all is good!

Try it. For that money if it no worky, back on e-bay it goes.

If you want more details, and product numbers, pm me and I will send them through
:ok

Em
x
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Post by eatcustard »

Cars are hostile to speakers
Rapid temperature difference can kill speakers
Also car speakers use 4 ohms where as house speakers use 8 ohms

Its to do with the cars 12v system that cars use 4 ohms speakers
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

very_bland

Post by very_bland »

Ok, thanks a lot eatcustard. Hopefully someone on ebay is selling something within my affordability!

Cheers.

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Halfrauds are selling sony mp3 car head units for £60 2x45watts

Gandalf
80-90 Mem No: 7510

Post by Gandalf »

Just replaced mine. Bought two pair of JVC speakers (£14.99 per pair) to replace the original speakers (think they are 100 watt output). Also bought a Fusion head unit/player (£100 fitted) that an Ipod fits into behind the face (no CD player but then I converted all my CD's a year or so ago) bit like an old cassette would have. The sound has improved immensely after a little tweaking of the balance/fader/bass & treble - ok its not going to blow the roof (or should that be pop top) off but then I don't need or want it to. I can here it when I'm driving and I can hear it when I'm plotted up on a campsite.
1989 California Pop Top.

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

We have one of these in our van. Love it!
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl ... x_6920.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Specs:
http://www.mysilvercrest.de/en/artikel.php?a=127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Manual:
http://www.mysilvercrest.de/en/artikel.php?a=127&av=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Forum threads:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... 2055191878" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We use usb stick most of the time, but have used ipod and even notebook.

Depth of unit means you will need a 13mm (approx) spacer. Ours just sticks out a little as I haven't got the spacer. :wink:
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Sorry but 12 volts has nothing to do with 4 ohms neither is home use anything to do with an impedance of 8ohms..
mike

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

The following is only of interest to the techie types !!

metalmick8y wrote:Sorry but 12 volts has nothing to do with 4 ohms neither is home use anything to do with an impedance of 8ohms..
mike

Nowadays this is true.

It goes back to when car radios output chips worked as a single rail amp with a 12 volt input.

12 volts into 4 Ohms gives 36 Watts maximum output, (12V divided by 4 Ohms = 3Amp and 3Amp x 12V = 36 Watts - but 12V divided by 8 Ohms = 1.5 amp and 12V x 1.5 amp = only 18 Watts) That is slightly simplified for clarity, not taking into account the impossibility of 100% efficiency, but the figures are near enough for our purposes.

So they used 4 Ohm speakers in cars to get more power out.

These days output chips often work in "bridge mode" and also often have voltage boosting circuits (so the 12 volts is raised to perhaps 50 volts at the output chips) this negates the problem of wringing max power from 12 volts.

However, the output circuits are still tailored to a 4 Ohm load, so 4 Ohms is still recommended.

Car speakers tend to much tougher, both physically and electrically.
Also the cones etc are designed to not fall apart if they get damp. (ie made of plastic, not the more traditional cardboard)

Speakers bought from the likes of CPC or Disco parts suppliers can be used to good effect and are cheaper, but be aware of what the cone material is made of re the potential for damage if they get damp (even from just condensation conditions).

My "tip of the day" = if using higher power amps and speakers, go mad on all the power, earth and speaker cable thickness, it will help keep the bass loud and tight :)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

very_bland

Post by very_bland »

Thanks for all the advice, I've still not come to a decision on all this.

I was given some 130Watt Pioneer speakers, and the van had a CD head unit when I bought it. However the head unit is CD & radio, I don't like taking CDs out as they get trashed, so use an ipod with a radio transmitting wachimabob (which is proper poo!)

Also either the bumpy ride, or the vibration of the speakers, keeps undoing the screws that hold the speakers in the door, so at a volume I can hear over the cab noise, they buzz loads! Any ideas what I can do about this (without glueing the nuts to the bolts!) ?

I'll get better speakers and a ipod compatible head unit when the wallets a bit thicker :lol: !

texasuk
80-90 Mem No: 7673

Post by texasuk »

That Aldi head unit looks good value for the money, USB and Bluetooth for £50? Well worth it.
I spent more but I if I was on a budget that would do what I wanted. I use USB for my music all the time now, so much easier than CD. I think that there is a lot of dick waving when it comes to sound systems, if it sounds good to you then it is good enough. In a smaller car I have the cheapest subwoofer I could get and a couple of resonable door speakers, a good but medicore Sony head unit and I am delighted with the result, it really is th ebest you can get.

Damien
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6747

Post by Damien »

I have the cheapest sound system in the world!!

The sony head unit was in the roof of my garage when i moved in, pioneer speakers came from a mini i was given £20 to take away about 4 years ago. The 6 inch (yes thats right!!) sub used to be in my mates mini under rear seat until he realised that 2 would be better but they had changed the design and looked odd, got given that for making a new speaker board up for the matching pair he got, amp was £20 in a clearance sale cos the chrome had a big scratch, leads and wire came out of a box of oddments my mate had also.

The 2 speakers in the doorcards sounded poo, now have a nice well rounded sound without the headache or van shaking to bits when the bass kicks in.

Moral of the story, be cheeky and ask/poke around!!

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

very_bland wrote:keeps undoing the screws that hold the speakers in the door, so at a volume I can hear over the cab noise, they buzz loads! Any ideas what I can do about this (without glueing the nuts to the bolts!) ?
!

Yep, glue with EvoStick, that is a rubbery glue that will stop them vibrating loose but will allow you to remove the nuts should you ever wish to do so.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here