Stereo'n'speakers

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

very_bland
80-90 Mem No: 7610

Re: Stereo'n'speakers

Post by very_bland »

Fantastic, cheers Ghost!

Head units and speakers seem to be fairly reasonably priced on halfords at the mo...

If I got an ipod compatible head unit such as this one (several for less money on ebay)
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165474" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could I run 2 pairs of these straight off it:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165707" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The speakers seem extremely cheap, are they naff? (I don't really understand the technical data as I'm sure you have by now assumed :lol: )
Would I need a separate amplifier with this set up?

Cheers for any help!

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

very_bland wrote:
Head units and speakers seem to be fairly reasonably priced on halfords at the mo...

If I got an ipod compatible head unit such as this one (several for less money on ebay)
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165474" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could I run 2 pairs of these straight off it:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165707" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

= Yes

very_bland wrote: The speakers seem extremely cheap, are they naff?
Would I need a separate amplifier with this set up?

They don't appear naff at all to me, especially at that price !!
Re the price, is that for 1 side or both sides though, if it is 2 x bass speakers + 2 x Crossovers + 2 x Tweeters, it seems too good to be true !

Re Amp.

It depends on whether the head units quoted power of 50 Watts per channel is RMS (Average) or "Peak Power".
If it is RMS, then the speakers are a good match as they are 70 Watts RMS rated. If the head units quoted 50 Watts is Peak Power then the "Real" output is likely to be 1/2 or less than that on the real world, (note to techies = lets not get into semantics here re Peak, RMS and point 707 etc) so an amp would be a good idea. If going that route, you want to be looking for an amp of a quoted power of around 240 Watts to roughly match those speakers quoted max power.

Note 2 = There is a lot of guff talked about Power Output !!
The only REAL way to make sure all components are singing from the same hymn sheet is to use RMS power figures, but try to get many / most manufacturers or salesmen to give you that figure is nigh on impossible.
However, if a manufacturer DOES quote RMS figures, you know you are dealing with an OK supplier, as it is not easy to cheat with RMS figures (unless they are telling down right lies in their literature, which would be against the Trade Descriptions Act of course)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

very_bland

Post by very_bland »

Thanks Ghost, really appreciate that write-up!

I'll try and find out re RMS and "peak power' and work from there!

It is indeed for 2 x bass speakers + 2 x Crossovers + 2 x Tweeters which as you say seems too good to be true, which is why I asked if they were naff, presuming i had missed an important detail somewhere! Elsewhere online they are going for £70-100!

Tis my birthday next week.... time to drop some less the subtle hints! :lol:

Thanks again!

very_bland

Post by very_bland »

Sorry what does MOS-FET (before 4x 50W) mean? Does it have anything to do with RMS and "peak power'?

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Post by eatcustard »

very_bland wrote:Sorry what does MOS-FET (before 4x 50W) mean? Does it have anything to do with RMS and "peak power'?

If you have the time read it here :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOSFET" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

Epiphone
80-90 Mem No: 7754

Post by Epiphone »

Hi, im also looking for a complete sound system too. Ive looked in some media shops and as I want to use my iphone mostly, the best solution seems to be with the USB input and Ipod support. Then when the ipod is plugged in, the screen goes blank and then you control the ipod from the stereo head unit.

Ensure that it has the following specification: Made for iPod

The following does not mean Ipod support:
Front AUX: Yes
MP3: Yes
USB Port: Yes

What about bluetooth speakers? is this still very expensive? would be cool not having to wire everything up

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

very_bland wrote:Sorry what does MOS-FET (before 4x 50W) mean? Does it have anything to do with RMS and "peak power'?

MOSFET is just the type of chemistry used in the transistors used in the final amplifiers output stage (Metal Oxide Silicone Field Effect Transistor) They are much stronger and less likely to burn out when hammered that "normal" transistors. Most modern amps use them. It has nowt to do with the RMS and Peak output values.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

very_bland

Post by very_bland »

Right Ok. Thanks again!

I had a browse on a site with various different makes of stereos, some said for e.g 4x50 MAX while others just said 4x50, so I think it is perhaps safe to assume that those that didn't say MAX are stating the RMS.

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

very_bland wrote:Right Ok. Thanks again!

I had a browse on a site with various different makes of stereos, some said for e.g 4x50 MAX while others just said 4x50, so I think it is perhaps safe to assume that those that didn't say MAX are stating the RMS.

Sorry, no it's not safe to assume that :(

Manufacturers rarely quote RMS because it is always the lowest figure, so it makes their gear look less powerful than the competitions. If it does not say "RMS" it won't be. Sadly, saying 50 Watts or 50 Watts max does not give any real indication of the actual output. I saw a small battery operated Radio / CD player in Maplins a while ago with 100 Watts output blazoned across the box. This unit used 4 ordinary C type batteries and they simply cannot produce anything like that power, ever !!

I suppose the only thing to do in this situation is =

1 - Find the make and model of the Radio, then one could find the part number of the output chip, look it up on an Internet Spec sheet and get it's real output from there (I can help if need be with this)

2 - Just buy one you fancy and if it ain't loud enough, fit an amp :wink:

very_bland

Post by very_bland »

Grand thanks Ghost!

ghost123uk wrote: 2 - Just buy one you fancy and if it ain't loud enough, fit an amp :wink:

I don't really care what it looks like, because to be honest, the majority of them are unsightly GTi looking things if you get my meaning, and unless i get a rear input for the ipod, the wires coming out the front only make it look worse. So it will probably be hidden behind a hatch in the dash, with the ipod visible. Saying that the Clarion ones aren't bad looking and have great reviews http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -24293.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that looks ideal (other than the price being double what I was previously looking at, and thats with that one being near enough half price!!)

I'll keep hunting ha ha :lol:

Really appreciate your help with this!

Epiphone
80-90 Mem No: 7754

Post by Epiphone »

yesterday bought

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165474

has everything I need, Ipod/iphone input, bluetooth, remote, handsfree with any phone

just need to install now, as there are a shed load of wires there, god knows what kind of stereo was there before

Fin
80-90 Mem No: 8714

Post by Fin »

I really didn't want a swanky posh new looking stereo in my old van, mostly for fear of some lowlife walking through my inadequate security.
So I got a blanking plate from my local Audio shoppee for £2
Bolted a set of boxed - made my self 6x9's behind the seats (i've got a single cab) and I'm running them through a little amp hidden under the passenger seat.
Just plugged the I pod straight into the amp via a Phono lead, took a while to set up, but sounds pretty ace.
I'm using a little switch in the dash 50p jobbie to flick the power on and off for the Amp
I'll ad a head unit when funds allow - but I've got to get one of those Period looking numbers for it to look tight
Single cab pickup, running 1996 Subaru WRX STI engine, Aiden talbot gearbox.

Fin
80-90 Mem No: 8714

Post by Fin »

Oh and I left the switch on for two days and ran the battery flat :(
Will be adding an LED shortly :lol:
Single cab pickup, running 1996 Subaru WRX STI engine, Aiden talbot gearbox.