lowering

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T3 Taz
80-90 Mem No: 0

lowering

Post by T3 Taz »

Hi people me again

i have 1990 t3 panel van 1.6 td....

gonna slam it :)

i've been looking at some posts and lowering kits...people only seem to be loweringas much as 50mm

i know plenty of people will say this is fine, for driving comfort etc. and think anymore will look over the top....

but i lookd at 50mm and really dont think its low enough. im going for low rider look,not on the floor but a small gap betewen wheel n arche.

is there any reason i couldnt go lower than 50mm, and if so where are the kits!!?? also do coilovers not exist for vans..

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: lowering

Post by R0B »

2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

chuckle-bus-tom
80-90 Mem No: 4368

Post by chuckle-bus-tom »

The main problems with super-low kits (like the -80mm AVO kits from Brickwerks) is wheel clearance when turning and bottoming out over bumps and holes, plus you won't be able to get on any campsite that isn't a sea of white UPVC.

However, if your going for a lowrider look I assume you'll be using the standard wheels, or smaller, with very low profile tyres so you could be OK. I'm yet to see a body modded super slammed a la the split scene, but there is plenty of space for air bags under/in a T25!

wigster
80-90 Mem No: 7450

Post by wigster »

eyup , I've recentely lowered my old velle with an -70AVO kit from brickwerks, and I'm real happy with it. It is a bit more choppy than standard, but even living out here in the back o beyond its not too bad, tho just occasionally if there's 2or 3 big bumps it will just hit the bumpstop, but not very often and maybe if I was a bit more alert..I run 7x16 wheels and there is never any catching at all. There is some pics of the bus on photobucket, at album called t25pug....wig
HOW MUCH!
1987 1.9tdi pug powered twin slider velle

T3 Taz

Post by T3 Taz »

great replys thanks...

if anyone else has advice keep em coming, thanks

...yea for the moment will jus lower it, duno if i'll go with any hydraulics/air bags yet, but your rightit could be done!

T

ricicles
80-90 Mem No: 6350

Post by ricicles »

that should do it :ok

T3 Taz

Post by T3 Taz »

ricicles wrote:Image
that should do it :ok

haha great

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

chuckle-bus-tom wrote:The main problems with super-low kits (like the -80mm AVO kits from Brickwerks) is wheel clearance when turning and bottoming out over bumps and holes, plus you won't be able to get on any campsite that isn't a sea of white UPVC.

However, if your going for a lowrider look I assume you'll be using the standard wheels, or smaller, with very low profile tyres so you could be OK. I'm yet to see a body modded super slammed a la the split scene, but there is plenty of space for air bags under/in a T25!

I think you are mistaken.
I have never sold, nor would I sell anything that low.
I am a mechanic, I know about geometry, with low kits like that you run out of adjustment for the camber, which scrubs tyres.
You will get arch clearance problems, if you don't have bumpstops, or you have larger than standard wheels/tyres.
The lowest I sell is AVO -70mm, which is right at the end of the camber adjustment, and obviosuly going that low is a comprimise, people who want that low want the looks and are quite capable of accepting the ride quality trade off.

People want different things from their van, some people like the standard ride height, some people want it a bit lower and firmer to make it easier to get into, safer under braking and around corners, they want to lower them to reduce buffeting and wandering on the motor way, to this end the -50mm spring set is perfect, and then there are people who want it as low as possible, which is what the -70mm springs will do, but still maintain some ride comfort but be at the end of the camber adjustment and is as low as you can safely go.

-50 to -70mm it is advised that you use shorter dampers or use tieing wire tokeep the springs in their seats at the rear.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

chuckle-bus-tom
80-90 Mem No: 4368

Post by chuckle-bus-tom »

Hey, what's 10mm between friends? Seriously though Simon, apologies for not doing my homework.

For the record, my van sits 60mm lower on a kit I got off eBay (second hand, not eastern European) and with 2 ribbs off the bumpstops and the camber adjusted by the local tyre shop rides very smoothly, doesn't wander on the motorway and corners nice and level.

ThorAlex

Post by ThorAlex »

Current vans: 1990 Syncro TD "Smily"
Ex vans: 1989 caravelle coach TD 5-speed, 87 DoKa Syncro

Mayor Goldie Wilson
80-90 Mem No: 4146

Post by Mayor Goldie Wilson »

t3 taz - I have recently fitted bilsteins and 60mm avo springs on standard steels on my 88 caravelle. (Supplied from Brickwerks)

The ride is smooth in general but the bounce on hitting any bumps is slightly harder - expected!

But i measured before and after and the 60mm springs took it 50mm down - so its still no pan scraper but im pleased that i no longer suffer from nose bleeds at the standard height.
I recommend changing bushes while you are at it my van feels like new!

if you want mega low, quality ride and you have money to burn it looks like bags is the option!
i will be mayor!

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

We ain't sold -60mm springs for a long time, if they are recent, like the last 3 years (pt no 95-700) then they are -50mm.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

Mayor Goldie Wilson
80-90 Mem No: 4146

Post by Mayor Goldie Wilson »

oh yes my mistake! they were 70mm AVO's.
i will be mayor!

vern4130
80-90 Mem No: 7905

Post by vern4130 »

Hi all, hoping someone can help here...

I've bought a van which I was told has been lowered 60mm. It's currently on 235/45 zr17s and I would like to put the original steels on as I cant be doing with £100+a corner (no matter how nice it looks!)

Looking at it it seems the originals will be about diameter 10mm larger than what is on there now, does anyone know if I will be ok with this?

Thanks everyone, this site has been a godsend since getting my van!
1987 Transporter, Originaly 1.6 Diesel NA, now 1.8 Petrol Gti PB engine

Basher

Post by Basher »

I've just fitted a set of Baxters - 70mm AVO'S Springs, and i really can't fault them.

:ok