Number Plates

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Re: Number Plates

Post by nesty »

I use German plates on both my cars never had a problem!

However, I tested the camera reading theory of the fonts out on a posh private estate on the other side of town whre I live. The estate entrance camera's read your plates, as you enter and show you on an LED screen. I tested it out 5 times with my plates and the camera's misread the plate everytime!
Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

nesty wrote:I use German plates on both my cars never had a problem!

Wouldnt bother driving anywhere near Nottingham then!!! there shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite hot on german plates put it this way mine were on since i got it now back to boring propper ones!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

nesty

Post by nesty »

I remember one time this summer I was sitting at lights in my 911 with the windows down. The cops pulled up alongside me and one said he liked the Euro german look on it!

Maybe in London/Home Counties Police got more important crimes to solve then worry about number plates?

I know Nottingham s*** hot on speed cameras. On that dual carriageway off M1 (J26) into town centre? Average speed camera all along that road!

kendall

Post by kendall »

I've had german pressed plates with the "D" mark on my M3 for 6 months and no bother so far. I've also got on my crimbo list some pressed black and silver plates for my '80 T25, naughty i know, but i've broken so many traffic laws one more wont hurt (i hope) :D

nesty

Post by nesty »

To be honest German plates is so minor in the scheme of things.

I remember years ago I had customised plates. They might have been italic? The copper pulled me over and said that the font wasn't standard.

My reply to copper standing at the back of the motor. I asked could he read the plate back to me. The copper read it back perfectly. I said to him then it's not an offence then is it; as the number plate is obviously readable. At that point they promptly departed!

Number plates at the end of the day have to be readable, that is their purpose. It's not for some computer system to try and fine you.

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

nesty wrote:To be honest German plates is so minor in the scheme of things.

I remember years ago I had customised plates. They might have been italic? The copper pulled me over and said that the font wasn't standard.

My reply to copper standing at the back of the motor. I asked could he read the plate back to me. The copper read it back perfectly. I said to him then it's not an offence then is it; as the number plate is obviously readable. At that point they promptly departed!

Number plates at the end of the day have to be readable, that is their purpose. It's not for some computer system to try and fine you.

Might well be minor but each plate is 3 pionts !!!!!! so 6 and a fine just aint worth it really is it!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

nesty

Post by nesty »

You have to know your rights. A lot of law is done by bluff.
I have UK plates in the van always, so can swap them over by the time the copper even pulled a pen out. Then his word against mine!

andisnewsyncro
80-90 Mem No: 3311

Post by andisnewsyncro »

nesty wrote: Then his word against mine!

Good luck with that one :lol:
What a long strange trip it's been

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Post by 72BUG »

nesty wrote:You have to know your rights. A lot of law is done by bluff.
I have UK plates in the van always, so can swap them over by the time the copper even pulled a pen out. Then his word against mine!
I'd love to see you try this one. The police very rarely travel alone so it would be your word against THEIRS and even if/when they are alone everything is videod from onboard the police car.
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

nesty

Post by nesty »

Each constabulary works differently. All I know (apart from traffic police), it's rare to see 2 coppers in a panda where I live.

T3 Ben
80-90 Mem No: 6217

Post by T3 Ben »

I have pressed metal plates on mine with numberplate surround from brickwerks. I was going to get german font ones but couldn't be bothered with trouble from the old bill, so had them made with uk font. Got them from http://www.europl8.net/

nesty

Post by nesty »

Same place I got mine. Tho mine pressed metal with German font.

I Went past the old bill twice today and no problems! Though my van is total Euro looker. I have yellow headlights & got the stadt stickers with hyphens on the plates.

Maybe they think I am actually foreign?

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Nesty, post a pick of your bus, sounds nice
mike

nesty

Post by nesty »

Here it is. Gives you an idea of the plates and font!

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Post by 72BUG »

If you lived around my way you'd be nicked within a day for those plates. I had a none standard font on the back of my Beetle which had been garaged for 5 years. First day I took it out after getting it back on the road I got collared. I explained about it being garaged for 5 years and that I'd never had any trouble before then and the copper explained that by law they have all got to be a standard UK font so that the automatic number plate recognition cameras can read them. Luckily I got away with a warning but told that if I got pulled again with those plates I would get nicked.

Each to his own and you're lucky if the police in your area aren't too bothered about the plates but I wouldn't be too surprised when you get nicked in another county. Is it really worth it?
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.