Number Plates

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

very_bland
80-90 Mem No: 7610

Number Plates

Post by very_bland »

My van has number plates with a customised font which is not to my taste! Standard lettering would be fine, but does anyone know if you can legally put classic plates on (the old black and silver/white embossed ones) whilst using the same reg number? Just a thought.

andisnewsyncro
80-90 Mem No: 3311

Re: Number Plates

Post by andisnewsyncro »

I'm 99% certain that the cut off for using the old black plates is vehicles manufactured before 1973, sorry.
Nunber plate regs have been tightened up again recently and they are now a fixed penalty offence if you have the wrong ones on, so best just stick to boring I reckon. The font is part of the regs too so no German style plates allowed either, except for off road show usage.
What a long strange trip it's been

Eddiethemartian
80-90 Mem No: 7152

Post by Eddiethemartian »

andisnewsyncro wrote:I'm 99% certain that the cut off for using the old black plates is vehicles manufactured before 1973, sorry.
He's 100% correct. Not worth the risk of a fixed penalty...

very_bland

Post by very_bland »

Cheers guys, I found the original plates under the back seat today anyway, so I'll change over to them tomorrow!

Ta

chuckle-bus-tom
80-90 Mem No: 4368

Post by chuckle-bus-tom »

You can get pressed metal plates with normal font that look good. Some of the regulations only apply to post 2001 vehicles (such as kite mark), but font is definately regulation for all. I spent £30 on 'German' font plates before finding this out :evil:

andisnewsyncro
80-90 Mem No: 3311

Post by andisnewsyncro »

chuckle-bus-tom wrote:You can get pressed metal plates with normal font that look good. Some of the regulations only apply to post 2001 vehicles (such as kite mark), but font is definately regulation for all. I spent £30 on 'German' font plates before finding this out :evil:

My understanding is that the new regs apply to "plates fitted after" the specific date (which escapes me now) regardless of vehicle age. All legal plate makers are required to record the manufacture of new sets and so the purchase date can be proven, if the authorities want to take it that far. Can anyone clear this up ? Sorry for the slight thread hijack there but it does intrigue me how reg changes are imlemented. :wink:
What a long strange trip it's been

very_bland

Post by very_bland »

andisnewsyncro wrote:
chuckle-bus-tom wrote: Sorry for the slight thread hijack there but it does intrigue me how reg changes are imlemented. :wink:

Hijack it as far as you want... my problems sorted after finding bonus free ones under the seat! :D

Gandalf
80-90 Mem No: 7510

Post by Gandalf »

I'm not sure on the regs either but I have german style plates so looks like I'm just waiting for OB to give me a pull (ooeerr)!
1989 California Pop Top.

boatdog
80-90 Mem No: 7505

Post by boatdog »

i think its the age of the vehicle well first registration that is important, but it depends how keen the local bobbies are. i got "pulled a few years ago with "miss spaced" plates on was given 24hours to change them, had to take my car to police station as proof i had changed them, was then done in court and got 130 quid fine.
dont fix it if its not broke cos after you finish it will be!

CycloneMike
80-90 Mem No: 3787

Post by CycloneMike »

This was published earlier this year
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/CONT109727.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It wasn't all introduced into the MOT test at the time but there is no doubt it will be. It still reflects the rules.

The clue to "why" is the road safety act. Big brother wants to be able to read your number plate and this is how he will force you to have one he can read!

This is what the DVLA have to say about it
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Pe ... /DG_181503" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The DVLA have the power to withdraw a VRM. There is a warnning system in place. If a driver continues to use an altered plate to make it read like his name for example, DVLA will just withdraw it and re issue a "normal" number. I don't think this takes into account the value of the plate either.
German or italic plates will now probably attract a £60 fixed penalty or if you are lucky a warning requring you to put them right or get prosecuted.
NO PIES CAKES OR BEER LEFT IN THIS VAN OVERNIGHT.
Member Number 3787

boatdog
80-90 Mem No: 7505

Post by boatdog »

with the increase in speed sorry safety cameras etc they all need a standard font and spacing they can read electronically, my down fall was said bobby pulled me on motorway had a mountain bike on the back we talked mountain bikes for a min or two he was a keen cyclist, after which he said do you know why i stopped you? i said of course not to which he pointed out he couldnt read number plate. he then said give me your details sonny but dont forget i have done a PNC check on you so i know your details so b*llsh*t, i then pointed out that to do a PNC he must have been able to read the plate! anyway he then read me my rights. so moral is make sure plates are the right ones for age of vehicle and when getting pulled dont be a smart ass
dont fix it if its not broke cos after you finish it will be!

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

The number plate law related to when the plates were made and not the age of the vehichle. All plates made after 2001 (I think) need to conform to current number plate law.

Pre-January 1973

Vehicles first registered before January the first 1973 have the option of using the white on black or silver on black number plates. These are made either from pressed metal or plastic digits riveted on a metal plate. Occasionally an adhesive black vinyl background with white letters is more suitable.

Post- January 1973

Number Plate characters can be either 89mm by 64mm or 79mm by 57mm gaps between characters must be 13mm for the taller characters and 11mm for the shorter. The gap between the two "parts" of the number plate must be 38mm ( 89mm tall characters) and 33mm for the shorter ones. No definitive font is given but styled characters ( for example italics) are forbidden. Note these regulations govern number plates FITTED after Jan 1973 but before September 2001, they do not relate to the year of the car.

Post September 2001

Characters must be 79mm high and 50mm wide with a stroke of 14mm.Inter-character gap is 11mm and the space between the two parts of the registration number is 33mm.The only font allowed is based on the "Charles Wright" font.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Talking of which, anyone got a link to the site that you input your reg' and make of vehicle and insurance status is shown
Mike

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

http://www.askmid.com/ownvehicle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is that it?

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Yep thats it ta
Mike