How can i enhance engine power and performance?

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sirbraunstonquiffqc

How can i enhance engine power and performance?

Post by sirbraunstonquiffqc »

I've just purchased a 1.9 petrol 1987 water cooled Leisuredrive and i am truly besotted already. I've had her waxoyled,winter serviced ,new break hoses,new advance vacuum unit fitted and tuned. I went over the exterior surface rust just before the weather turned.She's clean but scruffy! She starts first time every time and has done most of Europe.It seems addictive and flicking through some of the VW mags there are plenty are seriously mad people out there.I think i'd like to keep the interior,as it is mainly original (although scruffy) apart from the curtains.Any ideas on how to put a little more ooomph into the engine? I'm completely bamboozled by the adverts for carbs,exhausts etc.... I don't want to mess with any kind of Empi exhausts as is seems from other reports they aren't much better than standard exhausts. Probably will go all stainless steel when i have the cash. Any ideas on engine parts to enhance performance or drive quality gratefully received.Also any advice on shocks etc..to improve ride quality? Cheers.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: How can i enhance engine power and performance?

Post by R0B »

rip out the 1.9 and replace it with a 2.1.. :wink:

Any ideas on how to put a little more ooomph into the engine?
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

sirbraunstonquiffqc

Hi
What sort of prices are 2.1 engines? Readily available? Easy to put back into the van once the old engine has been taken out?

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

sirbraunstonquiffqc wrote: What sort of prices are 2.1 engines?

From around £400 for a non trade supplied used one (buy with great care !) to £1100 for an Elite supplied Re-Con (you will need an old 1.9 or 2.1 as a p/x unit) up to £2000 for a re-built engine from some "other" UK suppliers :shock:

sirbraunstonquiffqc wrote:Readily available?

Used ones come up from time to time (buy with great care !) - Elite ones have around a 2 to 4 week lag depending on how busy they are. Other UK re-con suppliers = I don't know.

sirbraunstonquiffqc wrote:Easy to put back into the van once the old engine has been taken out?

That depends on how many exhaust studs break, they often do and fixing them is not a 2 minute job !! Other than that they are basically the same as the 1.9 DG lump as far as ancillaries go.

All in all, it is a lot of work and money for the extra 10% (aprox) performance (IMHO)

I would say best to alter your driving style when in the T25, relax, don't push it, they are 20 to 30 year old vans, not sports cars. The 1.9 DG, if set up right, is OK. You should try a 1600 Diesel or an Air-cooled :shock: - but folks still enjoy them for what they are :)

If you really want performance, check out the Subaru conversions, I understand they can be fitted for not much more than the £1100 - £1300 you would spend (all in) on fitting a re-con 2.1
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

ricicles
80-90 Mem No: 6350

Post by ricicles »

pair of dellorto40,s and speedshop pipe works well.

sirbraunstonquiffqc

Now that's an engine!

sirbraunstonquiffqc

I am trying to relax in my lovely van.....it's all the other angry and speeding motorists that are the problem!
I love driving leisurely with a smug smile on my face,such a pity that other people don't feel the same. Classic cars/vans seem to promote sensible driving,modern vehicles are too bland,quiet and too fast without the driver realising it.

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

A 2.1 swap is well worth it, 1.9dg are 78hp and 2.1 dj's are 112hp so it's far more than 10% but the big difference is the torque that you get.

Hills are no longer a change down to 2nd and struggle up at 30mph, i did mine 2 yrs ago and never looked back.

You may even get a couple of hundred for your 1.9 if it's any good.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

i had a 1.6diesel in mine and it was embarrassing...so i put a1.9diesel in and now i still only go about 55mph and sod the lot of em :lol:
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

Johny B
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2003

Post by Johny B »

Go for a 2.1, fit a turbo and get a turbo thomas custom exhaust fitted :ok or get a scooby conversion done
Member 2003

VW Camperhaus