The United Nations JT3000 Caravelle

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

koopsi
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Anyone know much about JT3000 Caravelle's?

Post by koopsi »

sweeeeeeeet looking van, cant wait to see and hear more about it :ok

Kenny
80-90 Mem No: 478

Post by Kenny »

Hows it going? Any more pics to show us?? :0)

ash1965
80-90 Mem No: 5213

Post by ash1965 »

I've been cruising a bit, taken it to a show by the beach a few weeks ago. Needs a bit of a tune, but still goes way better than my 2.1 ever did. I,ve swapped over my South African wide grille and smoked blinkers now. The extra black really works.

I also discovered that I am registered to seat nine! I found four seat belts in the rear row (hidden underneath) - cool!
I thought I would also include a shot that shows the United Nations ID numbers still on the roof...

Once I get it up on the hoist I'll post some decent shots of the conversion.

Cheers

Ash

Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Looks great mate! Esp like the numbers on the roof!!! 8)

I would be really interested to see pics of actual conversion bits and bobs...exhausts, engine mounts, cooling etc

Cool bus....

ash1965

Post by ash1965 »

Had the UN bus up on the hoist yesterday. Took a few shots of the conversion for those that are interested.

Gearbox is a little lower than standard, and gear linkage was not so good. All good now, smooth shifting.

Also has a larger South African fuel tank fitted (70l) and a pair of long range tanks (currently disconnected) mounted either side of the main tank.

Cheers

Ash

Blunderbus
80-90 Mem No: 7022

Re: The United Nations JT3000 Caravelle

Post by Blunderbus »

Mama, that is sweet! I love it!

Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Looks great! Nice one for sharing these photos.

The exhaust set up is very similar to mine apart from the addition of the balance pipe. How loud is it?....mine could do with being quieter. :shock:

Dont suppose you've got any closer shots of the engine mount set up? Esp where they bolt to the chassis rails?

Its also interesting to see the bellhousing change rather than a conversion plate. A proper job done there!

Cheers......

ash1965

Post by ash1965 »

Will have to get shots of engine mounts up next time. Yes, it does sound pretty raunchy. I think the balancing pipe was installed to reign in the sound. My wife thinks it's too loud, but I like it just fine.

Apparently this was a pretty popular conversion in SA in the 80s. JT Engineering did a very good job overall. The only issue I am now trying to solve is cold air induction. I have a Holley 350 carby with air filter sitting right on top of the motor. It has started to get very hot here (42 degrees yesterday). In this kind of weather it doesn't take long for the engine to be sucking scalding hot air. After running it for more than 30mins or so, the power is way down, tappets starting to make noise etc. etc.

I a cannister style air filter and ducting to tap into the air intake at the side as per the standard set-up. Kenny, how have you gotten around this? If you have a good solution, a shot of your set-up would be great.

Cheers

ash1965

Post by ash1965 »

I have been recommended the BMC CDA air filter as seen here: http://bmcairfilters.com.au/images/medi ... %20sml.pdf. Is anyone running one of these?

Cheers

Ash

Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Hi Ash,

My set up is as the standard UK Cologne powered Capri was with an airbox and panel filter with ducting. This is still not ideal even over here where its always cold in comparison to your weather! :cry:

Mine is actually positioned so it is picking up air from the top of the exhaust ( :? ) so plan to move it nearer the 'normal' induction area on the van. Think the plan with the filter you show would help you if you can get the thing set up right. The only other advice is to look to the German Porsche engined vans. They tend to have another air intake/exhaust for the engine bay grafted into the bodywork higher up...even Porsche themselves deemed in nessecary:

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/vw-va ... 70292.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other than that I'm not sure - I was hoping you'd be able to help me with my heat problems! :wink:

Cheers...