Yet another lowering topic

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Yet another lowering topic

Post by Cruz »

Sorry if this has been done to death but I'm considering doing a bout of overtime bashing to possibly fund a spot of lowering to compliment my new alloys.

A) What's the maximum lowering I can get away with on standard shocks?

Due to a spring breakage I had the front springs and ancient shocks changed locally about 2 years ago with standard springs and standard boge shocks so I was thinking of maybe trying to get some more mileage out of the front shocks.

B) Or is that false economy and I should just bite the bullet and change the lot considering, I assume, you take the front shocks off to get the sprigs off ?

If so what's peoples experiences, 30mm or 50mm? Vans a leisuredrive hi-top camper with a penchant for farm sites with ropey farm tracks

chuckle-bus-tom
80-90 Mem No: 4368

Re: Yet another lowering topic

Post by chuckle-bus-tom »

Hey Cruz,

I have -65mm lowering springs (don't know what brand - they're red) and still use the standard shocks. I had to cut the front bump-stops, but you'll need to do that regardless over -40mm. I do however still use the standard 14inch wheels, so check out the modified threads or tap in a quick search to see about lowering heights to wheel ratios and what kits would suit you. Also, Brickwerks has a great bit of info on lowering and a handy how-to section on it. The general consensus is the more you spend, the better the kit, but anything has to be better than standard in my opinion! Its nice to arrive at your destination without dead arms from hanging on in the slightest breeze!

Best of luck with it!

splity61
80-90 Mem No: 4754

Re: Yet another lowering topic

Post by splity61 »

Hi, I have a hightop leisure drive. I put the 30mm lowered springs on with standard shocks (fronts, new ) Although the ride was ok on the motorway, on A roads it wallowed like a ferry in a force eight!
I have since fitted the yellow sports gas shocks from JK all round. It now handles really well. Stable on the motor way and smooth on A roads. It's more like a large estate car than a garden shed with a large ice cream tub on it!!
I would take into account the weight of the conversion. I am running 15'' Penta alloys. After fitting the shocks, it dropped further. I had to change the front tyres from 70 profile to 60, as I was bending the front arches when cornering! All fine now, totally peachy.
I was washing the car, when it fell off!!!!!!