Lounge room comfort in a T3

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ash1965
80-90 Mem No: 5213

Re: Lounge room comfort in a T3

Post by ash1965 »

I also decided to make the rear loading area a little more comfy. When I first got the bus, I built a covered in platform where the rear row of seats would normally go, and bought a piece of thick hard wearing rubber matting to cover the whole area. We only needed seating for five and of course it now provided an extremely large luggage area.

Next came three pieces of thick foam mattress cut to size. I had covers made up by a local seamstress. These are easily removable or just stack at the back when carrying large loads. For even more space, of course middle row slides out when needed.

When we sleep in the back, the fold down seat gives me serious room to spread out (I'm 6'4"), and the kids have plenty of room.

Finally I covered the existing side trim cards in charcoal grey marine carpet. It's hard wearing and matched what I had done up front. One added bonus to this is that velcro (the hook side) sticks very well to marine carpet, so I have a number of LED dot lights with velcro on the back that can be stuck or removed as needed when camping. I even have a travel clock/thermometer that I stick in when camping.

Again, it's no show pony, but with a few easy modifications, this bus suits our lifestyle down to the ground.

Cheers

Ash

fullsunian
80-90 Mem No: 5092

Post by fullsunian »

ash1965 wrote:I also decided to make the rear loading area a little more comfy. When I first got the bus, I built a covered in platform where the rear row of seats would normally go, and bought a piece of thick hard wearing rubber matting to cover the whole area. We only needed seating for five and of course it now provided an extremely large luggage area.

Next came three pieces of thick foam mattress cut to size. I had covers made up by a local seamstress. These are easily removable or just stack at the back when carrying large loads. For even more space, of course middle row slides out when needed.

When we sleep in the back, the fold down seat gives me serious room to spread out (I'm 6'4"), and the kids have plenty of room.

Finally I covered the existing side trim cards in charcoal grey marine carpet. It's hard wearing and matched what I had done up front. One added bonus to this is that velcro (the hook side) sticks very well to marine carpet, so I have a number of LED dot lights with velcro on the back that can be stuck or removed as needed when camping. I even have a travel clock/thermometer that I stick in when camping.

Again, it's no show pony, but with a few easy modifications, this bus suits our lifestyle down to the ground.

Cheers

Ash
That's very nice :ok
Mmm what's that strange smell from my exhaust...

t25adict
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by t25adict »

ive got loads of leather hides if you want to go further.............
infact ive got 30 + brown swade hides i was thinking of doing a complete inside of a van with.. sure would smell like a shoe shop. :roll:
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

t25adict wrote:ive got loads of leather hides if you want to go further.............
infact ive got 30 + brown swade hides i was thinking of doing a complete inside of a van with.. sure would smell like a shoe shop. :roll:
Start smelling like an old shoe after camping in it for awhile. :twisted: :lol:
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS

GBA 88 WEST LA
80-90 Mem No: 7489

Post by GBA 88 WEST LA »

i think it looks great , your ingenuity is to be applauded, definately not your clone interior bit different and something to be proud off, came out great :ok

ash1965
80-90 Mem No: 5213

Post by ash1965 »

The worst part about it is that I now have to sell it. I have impulsively just bought another T3 due to it being very unique. It's a South African ex United Nations bus with an original JT Engineering 3l V6 conversion.

Even though I am super happy with the new purchase, I don't have the room or money to keep the "Lounge Bus". I always thought it would be with me for a lot longer. Hopefully someone else will appreciate it as much as I have.

This is the new bus...

Cheers

Ash