vwspeedshop exhaust

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mike_gee32
80-90 Mem No: 455

vwspeedshop exhaust

Post by mike_gee32 »

I originally posted in the tech forum, but maybe here is more appropriate.

Has anyone got the vwspeedshop exhaust fitted? I'm thinking of getting one for my van, which has the early system on it. If so how well made is it, how easy was it to fit and most importantly how loud is it? I've seen mention of it being anywhere between nice and sporty to street racer loud.

Thanks

Mike
Member no. 455

ricicles
80-90 Mem No: 6350

Re: vwspeedshop exhaust

Post by ricicles »

got one on my van, quality seems ok though the bracket holding the silencer on has broken off, it was easy to fit and is louder than standard, i did not think to loud though, not bad for the price i reckon but better systems out there, someone told me about boxershop one thats spose to be good, also the guy at midnorfolk motor co is going to be building one for sensible money. may be worth trying him.

junior
80-90 Mem No: 4415

Post by junior »

Hi Mike, i bought and fitted this exhaust 8 months ago very pleased so far ,as mentioned it is louder than stock.
i also had the silencer support fail ,had this welded back up

One thing i did do was to design and have made some brackets to take the weight of the system that uses the normal mounting
points either side of the crank pulley as these are not in this kit which i think should be ,im sure someone else on here has got this exhaust
and done the same thing.

on the plus side the fit of parts was very good ,there is a power increase and it wont rust .now thats a good thing :D
Home is where you park it.

member 4415

mike_gee32

Post by mike_gee32 »

Thanks for the replies guys, sounds like the bracket is a bit of a design fault, as mine is an early van there are no silencer mountings on the engine bearer so I would be relying on the exhaust to hold itself together.

How loud is loud though, I'll be putting it on a caravelle if I get one so no nice thick bed cushion to quieten it down, plus with 2 small children in the back it can't be too noisey for long journeys (although I'm sure anything is quieter than an old standard system with two cracked manifold pipes).

I don't suppose anyone could take a vid of one, stationary and revving from outside and from inside at cruising speed, and stick it on youtube could they?

Or if you're any where near Leicester could I pop over and have a look at it?

Cheers Mike
Member no. 455

jerseybus
80-90 Mem No: 2087

Post by jerseybus »

Hi Mike,

Just put one on mine and I'm very happy, should have done it years ago. I too was concerned about the noise (I have 2 kids) but its not problem at all, sounds great. VW speedshop are highly recommended, great service.

You won't be disappointed!

ricicles

Post by ricicles »

mine was a tiny bit louder than the og exhaust with a stainless silencer. i would have a go at a video but am running twin 40s as well so LOUD but loving it :D

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

Have one on our camper and it's boy-racer loud... especially under full throttle. At 3200rpm it's like like being in a drum at 1600 beats / minute.
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS

ricicles

Post by ricicles »

phaedra says it is so boy-racer loud. :D so loud she can hear her old man coming, from half a mile away. :rofl Dad says the carbs make a big difference. teenager hear could make a youtube clip if you wanted to hear it. :D

mike_gee32

Post by mike_gee32 »

A youtube clip would be great, my better half reckons she could hear me coming to pick her up from work a good couple of minutes before I got there with the old knackered standard exhaust, when I took it off last weekend both short manifold pipes had completely parted company from the flanges, and even at 45mph you couldn't hear youself think inside the van. It was so loud that she banned me from taking my daughters out in it :lol: :roll:
I'm therefore under strict instructions to replace it with a much quieter system, but I really don't want to spend £300 on a shoddy standard system from GSF or JK that will probably only last a couple of years.
Member no. 455

ricicles

Post by ricicles »

This is dads van making alot of noise, and now our house smells funny. :D The quality is not very good due to dads phone, and as someone who hass to sit in the back of the van, it make and AWFUL lot of noise, but the carbs do make a huuuuuge amount of noise, dads going to build the efi. :lol:

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

:rofl That's what ours sounds like! There's a stoplight at bottom of hill.. Steep enough that it's 2nd gear most of way up on narrow street with 2 story houses both sides.. Very loud echoing off them under full throttle. :run
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS

RedSquirrel
80-90 Mem No: 1276

Post by RedSquirrel »

Fitted one on mine a couple of weeks ago.
It is a bit louder than stock, but not 'Scooby' loud.
Makes a difference to the power too.
Seems more responsive.
1989 VW T25 Holdsworth Villa 3

It's got a VW motor, a 116.8 cubic inch plant, Michelin tyres, VW suspension, VW shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new RedSquirrel bus or what?

mike_gee32

Post by mike_gee32 »

Thanks for the vid, those carbs sound awesome :D :D played it to the missus and got the go ahead :o The interiors stripped on the new van while it's being rebuilt so I'll add as much extra sound proofing under the seat and on the engine lid as I can, I've got a multivan RnR seat to go in so I might make a heavy, sound proofed, bed cushion as well to damp out some noise.
Member no. 455

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Choices are limited for early exhausts and only vwspeedshop seem to do a complete system, others either seem to be just the silencer or a late style system.

I'm leaning towards speedshop because I need the system changing and don't fancy having to replace the pipework in a few years

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Can anyone who has one of their SS exhaust systems tell me what level of warranty they come with?
i.e. Lifetime, 12 months, 2 minutes, nothing

I have mailed with no reply as well as trying to ring with no answer

Cheers
Cruz