I sold them, and now I want them back! Syncro Mirrors post

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dumpy
80-90 Mem No: 3486

I sold them, and now I want them back! Syncro Mirrors post

Post by dumpy »

Hi

I used to have a beautiful gunmetal grey 1989 panel van.

Only problem was, it was petrol and I ended up having to sell when times got very tight a couple of years back. I had bought (at great expense from das Deutsche eBay) syncro mirrors for it (attached top and bottom, you know the ones).

Anyway, I had to sell the van in a bit of a hurry in the end. And the pics I put on eBay when I sold it had the big mirrors on - so when the bidder won, I thought it was not the right thing to do to replace them with the nasty JK ones which fold in at motorway speeds.

So, enough sobbing, I now have a new van, and mm mmm it's tasty, and diesel this time so hopefully we have a long and happy future together.

Thing is, it's got the JK mirrors again, and again they fold in when moving, or a sparrow farts at them, or you look at them funny...

So I want the syncro mirrors again, and can't find any. Found a couple over the last months on german eBay, but that dastardly economic meltdown hasn't done wonders for the old sterling pound now has it... so price is prohibitive.

Has anyone got any ideas (i'm not keen on the big chrome 'bago jobbies)? Has anyone started making these aftermarket - if someone has the know how to do so, I'm sure there's a killing to be made trading these bad boys.

Has anyone got any originals to sell at a reasonable price?

Has anyone carried on reading to the bottom of the post?

Has anyone ever abused the tinted windows their van for spying on their neighbours?
1989 Converted Panel Van Tin Top

andisnewsyncro
80-90 Mem No: 3311

Re: I sold them, and now I want them back! Syncro Mirrors post

Post by andisnewsyncro »

They have indeed become very sought after and pricey
You could try these guys http://www.just-lts.com/ but other than that and keeping a close eye on fleabay, I cant really help

dumpy wrote: Has anyone carried on reading to the bottom of the post?

Has anyone ever abused the tinted windows their van for spying on their neighbours?

Yes to these two questions though :rofl
What a long strange trip it's been

dumpy

Post by dumpy »

Thanks.

I think I'm right in saying though that the LT mirrors, whilst bodgeable, are not the same as the lovely big syncro ones - think there's something on the wiki about it.

andisnewsyncro
80-90 Mem No: 3311

Post by andisnewsyncro »

Not quite as good aesthetically speaking, the arms are mor of an angle - shorter at the top than the genuine T25 arms, but if it's down to cost...

I've got some "universal" mirrors on mine which are skewed to sit vertically, rather than the VW ones which clip over the arm, so the "wrong" angle of the arms isn't so obvious. (and I can open the quarterlights most of the way !)

Be careful where you buy though, I saw lots advertised as "Genuine T25 Syncro mirrors" that were LT ones. You'll probably have to modify the bottom bracket on the LT ones a bit; later ones have a slot you can drill out to fit the width of the holes in your doors, rather than making more holes in the doors.
( I just flled up the extra gaps with chemical metal and painted over it)

Hope this helps a bit, mine are certainly a big improvement over the little mirrors I had.
:ok
What a long strange trip it's been

Flibbertigibbet
80-90 Mem No: 1080

Post by Flibbertigibbet »

dumpy wrote:

I did it made laugh :mrgreen:
member 1080

keyboard-wielding harridan

trollop@club80-90.co.uk

Flibbertigibbet
80-90 Mem No: 1080

Post by Flibbertigibbet »

dumpy wrote:

I did it made laugh :mrgreen:
member 1080

keyboard-wielding harridan

trollop@club80-90.co.uk

belle in progress
80-90 Mem No: 2205

Post by belle in progress »

i have a set of lt ones going cheap if interested, i did remove mine before i sold van but now i have no van
"if it bends its funny" "if it breaks its even funnier" M&C 1994

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

when i fitted big mirrors to my syncro i really didn`t like them. they look good from the outside but i found they really blocked the forward vision so i have put the small mirrors back on, modded them so they dont fold in at 80.

how do others find their big mirrors.

lee.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

I modified LTs by shortening the arm into bottom bracket. Now arms are vertical and am running stock mirror heads.
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS

dumpy

Post by dumpy »

UPDATE: They cost a bit, but i found a complete drivers side version at Vanfest (I was apparently 5 minutes off getting a new, boxed pair! Gutted).

There really seems to be a market for these - Just Kampers or someone should look into getting them copied. Maybe I should... nah, no time.

I lived in Egypt for a while, there was a fella there who you could take any clothing to, and he would copy it exactly. We had a dozen pairs of O'Neill shorts made up.

Wonder if he does Volkswagens?

Digression. So now I only need the psngr side. Take the point re: Lt mirrors as mentioned, but i'm not handy enough for those sort of mods i'm afraid, bolt ons and electrics are about my limit.

Incidentally, as anyone seen a knight rider scanner on a van? I've just ordered one and am hoping it will be unique?

Awesome.