Is black paint really that bad for showing imperfections?

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

fix
80-90 Mem No: 6345

Is black paint really that bad for showing imperfections?

Post by fix »

Im currently working on my T3 replacing the rear arches and a few other bits,once ive finished ill be painting it.

I really want to paint it gloss black but ive been told by loads of people it will show up any imperfections, so i dont know what do to!

Black is my number one colour and really is has to be gloss, matt black just gives the impression the bus is hiding dents etc.

By the time im finished prepping the van i hope there will be few imperfections, but with a 20 year old van it wont be anywhere near perfect.

Any got thoughts on how bad gloss black really is? I dont mind being able to see the odd ding here and there,afterall it is 20 years old!

Cheers :ok

Gunslinger
80-90 Mem No: 3874

Re: Is black paint really that bad for showing imperfections?

Post by Gunslinger »

The darker the colour the more any imperfections will show. It is really difficult to get the panels arrow straight anyway due to the size of the panels and after all they were built as a commercial vehicle rather than a luxury car hence seams etc

Pepperami
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 4608

Post by Pepperami »

It does show imperfections but hey who cares?

fullthrottlejunkies.org

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Remember too, it will be very hot inside in the sun ( if we ever get any that is :twisted: )
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

fix

Post by fix »

[quote="Pepperami"]It does show imperfections but hey who cares?

I like that attitude!

[quote="ghost123uk"] Remember too, it will be very hot inside in the sun ( if we ever get any that is )

Yes good point i never actually thought of that,i think im willing to take the risk judging by how long our summer generally lasts for :wink:

I think ill paint it black, if i dont i think ill kick myself. Tho once i see all the imperfections ill probably be kicking myself anyway!

jaylo264
80-90 Mem No: 4769

Post by jaylo264 »

Fix , have you thought about satin black ? I'm considering it just now -- our kamper is white , and showing lots of imperfections ( welded by me !) so I also need reassurance .
jaylo
1986 Autohomes Kamper 1.9 Petrol DG

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

A mate of mine who was a sprayer and took him 7 days of filling and spraying to get a car even nearly straight and it was still showing dents and it was a full on show winning sound off car!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

fix

Post by fix »

Ill be using rustoleum so i dont think satin black is available, but jet black is! :D

Ive just remembered that a mate of mine painted a nova for me in gloss black a few years ago, to be honest it looked really good afterwards and that was nearly as old as T25's so nowhere near perfect condition

Remembering that has given me alot more confidence on using gloss black, i think ill bite the bullet and buy the paint when i get paid next

Pepperami
R.I.P.

Post by Pepperami »

Mines rollered.
fullthrottlejunkies.org

fix

Post by fix »

Pepperami wrote:Mines rollered.

It looks good in the pics! Tho i cant see close up :D

Pepperami
R.I.P.

Post by Pepperami »

Only the first coat and that aint finished yet.

fullthrottlejunkies.org

fix

Post by fix »

It looks a good finish in that photo mate, what rustoleum black is that?

melmelody
80-90 Mem No: 6934

Post by melmelody »

fix wrote:Im currently working on my T3 replacing the rear arches and a few other bits,once ive finished ill be painting it.

I really want to paint it gloss black but ive been told by loads of people it will show up any imperfections, so i dont know what do to!

Black is my number one colour and really is has to be gloss, matt black just gives the impression the bus is hiding dents etc.

By the time im finished prepping the van i hope there will be few imperfections, but with a 20 year old van it wont be anywhere near perfect.

Any got thoughts on how bad gloss black really is? I dont mind being able to see the odd ding here and there,afterall it is 20 years old!

reference painting your van in gloss black if using rustoleum and you are going to roller it be prepared for a lot of flaatting and polishing it can be done though.also black does show up every single tiny imperfection in the bodywork so the prep wil need to be really good . never tried the rollering technique myself but a lot of people seem to be using it so everyone cant be wrong can they, but what i will say is that i used to be a professional panel beater and sprayer and i've done body work on funeral hearses a few times and to get them perfect requires a lot of preperation and skill dont know how much experience you have but the more time you put in the better it will look good luck and if i can help out with any questions you may have dont hesitate to ask cheers!

Clive51

Post by Clive51 »

I rollered mine in black a couple of months ago - I've only completed 1 coat so far, I'm still planning on flatting back and doing 2 others but was running out of time before my holiday so had to get the interior sorted.

It does show up imperfections on a close inspection, but anything from about a meter away it looks great. Rustoleum gloss black on the bus, matt on the wheels.

Thing is, I'm now thinking its a bit too black :D

High Peaker
80-90 Mem No: 3380

Post by High Peaker »

Just needs a chrome stripe and VW badge on the back to break it up a bit.
Don't over-bling it though 8)
Alex, High Peak
1983 Hightop Reimo-esque Camper