Bad Grip Performance Suspension- Advice Please

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Bad Grip Performance Suspension- Advice Please

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

Hi

After dreaming about them for years I have just bought my first camper!! Westfalia. It's Fantastic!!

I really would like some advice please. The back end seems quite low in comparison with the front. I presume the rear springs and shocks need replacing. I thought I might replace the springs and shocks all round and lower it a bit. I came across this on Ebay Item number: 350199636992 Bad Grip Performance Suspension. They seem really cheap and just wondered if any of you guys used them?

I want to go lower but don't want to ruin the comfort or lose the waste water tank on a speed hump!!

You views will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tom
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

ricicles
80-90 Mem No: 6350

Re: Bad Grip Performance Suspension- Advice Please

Post by ricicles »

try pepperami, he put a set of reasonably priced springs and dampers into his van and the ride is top notch easlily as good as my avo,s . the only thing you could question is the longevity of the cheaper stuff.

jason k
80-90 Mem No: 1959

Post by jason k »

dont fanny about, buy the avo kit and some bilstein shocks, i got this set up on my westy and its superb. top it off with some polybushes and it will drive like a different van. cheap stuff is cheap for a reason

get the goodies from here :ok

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
98 Westfalia James Cook

hulmey

Post by hulmey »

Couldn't agree more buy the right stuff in the first palce and do it just the once. I bought a cheap set of springs for mine when I got it and they were "pooh" ! Changed for some decent ones and a set of Bilsteins and the difference is amazing.

Pepperami
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 4608

Post by Pepperami »

This is all fine if you have the money to spend. At the moment i'm on a tight budget and i needed new suspension urgently. Try these.........http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-TRANSPORTER-T2 ... 1|294%3A50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fullthrottlejunkies.org

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

Pep,
Is this the same set you got???? Pic and quote from link don't accurately discribe a t3 suspension... like fitting t2 & t3, front struts not shocks (pic shows struts too), lowing kit with 0mm lowering. Not saying it's not a good kit, just that their description has many discrepancies. Haven't ridden in yours yet, but want to as want to improve ours on a budget. At Bashtie it looked to be about 30mm lower then stock.... but we were partying pretty hard. :wink:

FOR TRANSPORTER T2 and T3 !!!

This Sports Suspension Lowering Kit contains the following

2x Front Complete Sports Struts 2 x Rear Sports Shocks 2x Front Progressive Lowered Springs 2x Rear Progressive Lowered Springs

This is a complete shock and spring kit to fit the vehicles listed below. It is approx 30% uprated over standard units and will lower the vehicle by 0mm all round.
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS

Pepperami
R.I.P.

Post by Pepperami »

Pic doesn't show the right suspension. You get 4x gas shocks and 4x springs. Not coil overs. Is a lot softer than what i had but then again it was shagged. :?
fullthrottlejunkies.org

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

Thanks Tony. Next we meet, would like a ride.
In van I mean. :run
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS

Pepperami
R.I.P.

Post by Pepperami »

:run :run :run :ok
fullthrottlejunkies.org

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

i can honestly say the avo springs are great, i have got them with stock dampers on my devon & they defo give a nice ride & improve handling a bit!
dont by the cheap kits
if money is a issue get the avo springs a dampers later as i'm going to do!
go for pepperamis set of get them from brickwerks

gsmoke
80-90 Mem No: 2975

Post by gsmoke »

I've had avos on my camper for about two years and the rears have sagged. I think I've read somewhere that they've been improved, but a bit of a bugger. I bought them because they were supposed to be the best.

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

you cold make up spacers to fit on the rear swing/radious arms to lift it back up to the desired height, would'nt be too hard to make!

ninja.turtle007

Hey Guys

Thanks for the advice. I have gone and spunked my money on Baxter's bits!! Lol. I'll keep you updated on what I think.

Thanks

Tom

ninja.turtle007

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16770632@N02/3619556437/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16770632@N02/3620375850/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hey Guys

Just an update. I fitted the new Bilstein shocks and Avo Springs. Wow what a difference!! It must have been dangerous before but I didn't know any better. When I took the old shocks off they were really easy to compress and didn't return. No wonder I was getting so much bounce. Also the van is now level rather than being higher at the front. Off to Merityre tomorrow to get the wheel alignment done and also the camber needs adjusting.

Also gave her a service as going to Whitby in a couple of weeks form Surrey but I now feel much more confident.

Thanks for the advice.

brickinit
80-90 Mem No: 4740

Post by brickinit »

Before looks like our high top's stance at the mo!

What kit / drop did you go for in the end as it looks so much better?

Mr B
Well, I really wasn't expecting that to be; bodged, broken, leaking, lost, missing, mangled, rusty, rotten, stripped, siezed - pass the Stella and it'll all be better
Member 4740