Hard wired Dashboard

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Hard wired Dashboard

Post by AngeloEvs »

I had a spare dash with a defunct membrane PCB, didn't cost me much and it came with a lot of other T25 parts. This is the PCB replacement that uses the exissting fixing points and just screws into place. The moulded VW sockets used for the LED's, DOPS and Stabiliser were salvaged from the mebrane circuit and surface mounted to the new PCB. Fly leads are used to interface the PCB to the instruments.

While assembling it, I realised that I could redesign the dash to suit the smaller moutney steering wheel. ). The smaller wheel obscured my view of the warning LED panel and temperature gauge. The modified layout can be seen below.

The Rev Counter and clock came from a scrapped TR7 (cost £5) and were adapted to fit into the VW clock/fuel/temp housing. The original fuel/temp gauges were combined into one and re-located and the warning display moved down into a better viewing position. A revised PCB was used with an alternative DOP system incorporated onto the PCB rather than the one in the speedo housing.

Last edited by AngeloEvs on 12 Jul 2009, 14:46, edited 5 times in total.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

CycloneMike
80-90 Mem No: 3787

Re: Hard wired Dashboard

Post by CycloneMike »

Good effort.
I've just started on a similar project.
So far I've got a carrier bag full of bits and I've soldered 4 LEDs onto a board......
Its good to see it can be done.
NO PIES CAKES OR BEER LEFT IN THIS VAN OVERNIGHT.
Member Number 3787

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Thanks and good luck with yours, VW used 4mm pitch connectors for LED's, Voltage Stabiliser and the Oil Pressure PCB and not the standard 0.1in so if you have a duff membrane PCB remove them and use them.

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Nice job.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

CycloneMike
80-90 Mem No: 3787

Post by CycloneMike »

AngeloEvs wrote:Thanks and good luck with yours, VW used 4mm pitch connectors for LED's, Voltage Stabiliser and the Oil Pressure PCB and not the standard 0.1in so if you have a duff membrane PCB remove them and use them.
Cheers.
This all started after a Stabiliser problem. I hunted high and low to buy the TCA700Y stabiliser and was alarmed to find they sell for about a tenner when any other stabiliser cost less than a pound.
After that I found I that I had two of them amoungst the spare parts for my kit car, it appears vauxhalls of the same age also suffer the same problem.
So now having the thing I took the cluster out only to find that an early dash doesn't even use this damn thing, but has a two legged stabiliser antway. :roll:
So I'm starting from scratch but I'm going to use a rev counter, with fuel/temp from an eraly golf I also had lying about.
I also found an Astra digidash I'd forgotten I had, I've seen these can be modified to fit a T3. It crossed my mind for a few seconds, but 've got enough half finished projects on the go right now and I seem to remember that I couldn't get to work that well even with a Vauhall engine, so maybe i'll leave it till the winter to have a go.
Regards,
Mike
NO PIES CAKES OR BEER LEFT IN THIS VAN OVERNIGHT.
Member Number 3787

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

Nice looking dash! You come up with some of the nice ideas mate. :ok
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

lloyd wrote:Nice looking dash! You come up with some of the nice ideas mate. :ok
Yes he does.
Maybe we should set him a mission.

How about the integration of a complete Passat dash.
I have seen a picture of a bus with a Passat dash and it looked the business.

How about AngeloEvs, are you up for a challenge?
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

VWcamperfan has a fancy digital dash with all the bells & whistles... mpg, km traveled, km to empty, etc. Not sure if it's Passat or what.
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I've found this two on a German site (T3-info.de):
This is Passat instrument cluster.

This is one from an Audi A4.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Thanks for the feedback and comments. You can redesign the dash quite easily using PCB's as shown above (lovely dashes those!). The only design issue is that you clear the fluid resevoir and that is easily solved by bringing the instruments forward rather than set back as in the standard dash layout and I may consider something more elegant. The TR7 dash is only 6cm deep and I had thought of using it but a 140 mph speedo would look silly in a WBX'r ......unless you have a Scuby that is).

I have to say I have a liking for analogue displays (rather than digital) as they are nice to look at when the van is just parked, guess i'm a bit old fashioned there. The only other issue is the Coolant flashing LED that interfaces with the LSCU and I have that sussed. I have a an alternative circuit that does the same job as that in the VW temp gauge and can be interfaced to any analogue temp gauge.
As for projects, now I have seen a Passat dash I'm off to my local scrappy as it looks great and seems straightforward to do given the gauges are forward of the fluid resevoir.

:ok

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

AngeloEvs wrote: As for projects, give me a Passat dash and I will tell you how it can be done.

Okay, let me see what I can find, hopefully either a Passat or A4 one.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Ok, its fitted! Head light switch now on the right, separate warning LED's for the brake fluid resevoir and Handbrake. And here's the Drivers view with the Moutney..........

Last edited by AngeloEvs on 08 Apr 2009, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.

Grun
80-90 Mem No: 1250

Post by Grun »

BOOOTIFUL as I think they would say in your part of the World.
Well done that man. :ok :ok
'Two 'eads is better'n wun even if mine's a sheeps'
Grun
Member Number 1250
D reg 2.1 DJ autosleeper poptop

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

I did my yellow van years ago as I couldn't get a PCB for it (made in '79)
I was talking with someone recently about doing these commercially, seems the biggest problem is getting the moulded plugs VW used for the DOP, rev counter, digi clock etc.
Worthwhile project if anyone could be arsed
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Despite my efforts, I have not been able to source a commercially available alternative to the VW 4mm moulded plugs. I'm now in the final stages of version 3 of the design which dispenses with the moulded plugs and possibly make it available to other members. It will only be suitable for the housings that have horizontal connectors but covers Diesel and Petrol models.