my new rusty dub

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

berty
80-90 Mem No: 0

my new rusty dub

Post by berty »

hello to everyone as this is my first post
thought it was about time to show you all my latest project , its a 1987 1.7d 5 speed stanard panel van http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m57/ ... 0_1107.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m57/ ... 0_1078.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :oops:
i only gave £150 for it and to be honest that is all it is probably worth with all 4 corners rotten along with every brake pipe. a very tired 188k engine and it has stood for over 2 years.
the good thing is with only 4 owners it has been well looked after and the rest of the shell is in very good condition and never been messed with so loads of scope.
THE PLAN
its now been striped to the shell, all welding done and in primer
this is where i could do with some ideas.
im thinking of 70mm lower, 17" alloys , large bumper kit , two tone metalic paint poss grey and black , 1.9 td azz .
interior poss grey and red with full width bed ,seating , tv , fridge , 240v hook up and spilt charge
not sure wether to fit side windows or to have a sink/cooker due to it been a tin top and no head room.
more ideas welcome thanks for looking bert
how hard can it be

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Re: my new rusty dub

Post by lloyd »

Welcome to 80-90!
17" & 70mm gives a harsh ride. Some peeps have changed back to 30-50mm and 16"... some back to stock.
Interior color is your choice. Rest sounds fine depending on needs. I like sink and hob. Again windows are your choice... I prefer having a couple with roof vent. Might consider a heater.
Many peeps have changed tin tops for pops or high ones.
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS

Coops
80-90 Mem No: 6171

Post by Coops »

Colour choice is yours alone, it's personal thing imo :)

As for window I really like port holes, very 70's custom but I think they look the dogs dangles :ok
"speed's just a question of money, how fast do you wonna go?"

1989 T25 Transporter 1.9 DG Cramper RHD

Gunslinger
80-90 Mem No: 3874

Post by Gunslinger »

Hi Berty
Welcome to the club

I would echo Lloyds views re lowering. Mine is lowered 50mm with 15inch wheels and I dont think I would want to go any further than that.
I personally removed my sink. It was so small I didnt see the point of it so I just wash up etc outside in a bowl but everyone is different.

Good luck with it

berty

Post by berty »

its been a while but not so rusty anymore :P
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m57/ ... 0_1630.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
went for 50mm lower in the end
we now have brakes
all underneath done with all new pipes
a few shiny bits fitted since respray
fully lined inside with led down lights
240v hook up
pick up my full set of tinted windows the weekend

just the engine, choice of wheels and a bespoke interior to go.
see you at the shows next year :ok
PS :anyone got a spare aaz engine lying around :?:
how hard can it be

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Post by eatcustard »

Berty

Where in Bromsgrovesville are you?

Van is looking good :ok
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

berty

Post by berty »

i live in catshill but the van is been done at my work in that lovely part of brum in aston :rollin
how hard can it be

hixsy
80-90 Mem No: 7322

Post by hixsy »

berty wrote:i live in catshill but the van is been done at my work in that lovely part of brum in aston :rollin

Oi nothing wrong with aston, lived there many years ago....

Vans looking god man, was kinda the colour i was originally goin for, but changed me mind, mine will be burnt orange in a few weeks.... i wanna see your finished article, will look bad ass !!!
bye bye orange ! hello white !

eatcustard

Post by eatcustard »

Aston = Burger boys :D
and Aston Villa (well just around the corner)
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

berty

Post by berty »

aston is ok really with G.S.F up the road, i have a engine builder around the corner and my gearbox man oppersite that. truck mechanics next door, tyres, exhausts made to measure infact there aint much you cant get in good old aston.
dub is all fitted up now and i am well pleased.
going to weymouth on sunday to collect two passat aaz engines, so should be able to sort a good one out of the two. just reading up on all the do's and dont's
i will get some more pics soon and once finished i will send a few to the mag, :ok
how hard can it be

eatcustard

Post by eatcustard »

berty wrote: i will get some more pics soon and once finished i will send a few to the mag, :ok

rattybird
80-90 Mem No: 3979

Post by rattybird »

welome :-) :D " down the villa "
" Its hip to be square "

berty

Re: just the interior left (how hard can it be)

Post by berty »

just a couple of pics to keep you going.
all ready for mot but still have the interior to do

has anyone got any plans for a full width rock and roll bed , i have searched every where but with no joy :wink:
how hard can it be

cubensis
80-90 Mem No: 15337

Post by cubensis »

What a transformation, i love the look of this van and the colour scheme. The number plate makes it look kewl also, there expensive but LT35 mirrors would make this look a bit more beefy!

Not sure if you want to divulge but ive always planned on buying very very cheap and doing all the work myself and was just wondering at what this roughly cost at the minute? Think my interior complete cost me about £350 made from vohringer ply. Yours wont cost anywhere near that i dont suppose if your having full rock n roll.

Anyway ... looks good! I think you should post a picture of you doing a crazy pose to show how happy you are ... oh you did :ok
1986 WBX 1.9 DG engine (originally a DF engine)

berty

Post by berty »

cost to date is about £1500 on the mechanical bits and £1500 on the body , wheels , lights, windows.
hope to have finish it and on the road for £4000 which i think is a bargin. done all the work myself which is all part of the fun plus you get to know the van inside and out.
glad you like the silly pose :oops: and yes i was happy its great when the paint goes on after all the welding , filling and flatting
how hard can it be