2.1 Injection engine, want to get to 150 BHP.....

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Johny B
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2003

Re: 2.1 Injection engine, want to get to 150 BHP.....

Post by Johny B »

syncrosimon wrote:Here is a pretty american engine, a wbx running turbo, chargecooler and megasquirt injection. Dont know what power it is giving, but a beautiful install.

Sweeet :ok
Member 2003

VW Camperhaus

syncrosimon
80-90 Mem No: 3784

Post by syncrosimon »

Here is another turbo wbx. It uses a scrap yard turbo and injection system from a volvo.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 7&t=131236" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Several others on that forum as well.
1991 16" DJ (sold)
2006 Subaru Outback 3.0R
2010 Yamaha Ténéré
2000 KTM LC400

ricicles
80-90 Mem No: 6350

Post by ricicles »

had a little go at this myself, engine is now back out of the bus and on the bench :| i used a set of dell 40,s and speedshop pipe and manifolds, i had the cam reprofiled, used solid lifters,cromo pushrods,thee angle valve cut, and balanced the crank,pulley,s rods,pistons etc. dj hi comp pistons. it pulled like a bleeding train :mrgreen: revved out well and was smooth as. but! a small problem in that the welding on one of the heads has failed and is pressurising the coolant so it needs re,doing. so back to the top. engine is stripped again and the heads are being sorted, bhp is still to be confirmed as coolant leaks have taken up my time. once its all back together i will get it dyno,d. i have been having a little think about turbo,s or superchargers, are most blown engines are low comp and rum high presure boost? this is coz the extra heat within a pressurized induction? i was thinking a high comp engine and low pressure supercharger, what you think. the reality is fluff now refuses to drive the van as it scares the poo out of her :pimp

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Using a turbo with blow-through carbs is stone-age tuning. Supercharging will give you mountains of torque but on a small engine of only 2 litres, the losses to drive the blower will be quite large and will probably break the crank.
The WBX isn't up to this kind of abuse really, not if you expect it to last any length of time.
A subaru will run up to 9.5 or even 10:1 compresson with a low pressure turbo and be quite happy if it's well built and has a decent chargecooler system, piston oil jets etc. 2.5 litres, 250 bhp and it will last about 100,000 miles if you respect it.
Why bother messing around with all this "old skool" stuff when you can have so much better, for less hassle?
The volvo EMS converted one is one of the better solutions because it is one set of parts, from a similar capacity motor. Would have come from an old 740 turbo?
Or just turn Japanese...