Project Twin Slider

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MALAM
80-90 Mem No: 2792

Project Twin Slider

Post by MALAM »

Here's my 1990 (G) Transporter. It's a 1.6TD Twin Slider, 11 seater Devon Microbus conversion. Here's a pic of it when I bought it off ebay at the end of July....

MALAM

Post by MALAM »

When I got it home, I took the roofrack off & the interior out and sold them on as they're surplus to requirements.

Binned the spotlamps, removed the bumpers, binned the wheel covers & replaced them with chrome hubcaps for now. Degreased the body and started to prep it ready for paint...here it is in it's current state...

Last edited by MALAM on 02 Oct 2006, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

MALAM

Post by MALAM »

Oh, doing a bit underneath too...

airhead
80-90 Mem No: 2980

Post by airhead »

Nice one! So whats the plan with this one then? She didnt clean up too badly. Why did you dump the spot lamps?

Its amazing, no offence intended here by the way, how with the smallest bit of TLC, a relatively tatty looking van can clean up quite nice. And this is before youve painted it! Great van! Best of luck with it.
Ross

1987 1.9td Leisuredrive camper.

MALAM

Post by MALAM »

airhead wrote:Nice one! So whats the plan with this one then? She didnt clean up too badly.

Cheers Airhead. This one's going to be a dayvan, I've bought a bluebird customs full width r'n'r bed for it already. Apart from the bed and a decent sound system, there's not going to be anything else inside really. With my previous campervans, I've found that I never use the cooker or sink etc so it would just be a waste of space, and unwanted extra weight. Along with the fact that it's a twin slider, it wouldn't really be practical to have all of that stuff anyway. So, the plan is to keep it subtle...

Outside is going to be the same too really. I'm not really into spoilers or massive rims, so any mods will be subtle. It will be lowered of course, 60mm all round. I'm not really into the whole colour-coding thing either, I've seen too many T3s which look like the playbus :lol: Just expect mine to look standard(ish), but mint...

airhead wrote: Why did you dump the spot lamps?

I have good eyesight, spot lamps are not required :lol: Honestly, I think they clutter the front of the van up...so I binned them.

airhead wrote: Its amazing, no offence intended here by the way, how with the smallest bit of TLC, a relatively tatty looking van can clean up quite nice. And this is before youve painted it! Great van! Best of luck with it.

No offence taken, it was indeed tatty to begin with but luckily that's all it was. The panels are 95% straight & rust free. Any visible rust was only on the surface thankfully, and not rot. However, to be safe all the seams will be getting shotblaster and treated before it's repainted :)

Arvi
80-90 Mem No: 2472

bodywork

Post by Arvi »

i am in the process of doing mine as well i would advise you to take out the front glass as well as rust can hide in the bottom of the pillars even thought all looks well on the outside

i had a water leak in mine that was caused by a pin hold that had formed behind the seal
Now running and fixing
1990 VW Caravelle GL 2.1 auto

MALAM

Re: bodywork

Post by MALAM »

Arvi wrote:i am in the process of doing mine as well i would advise you to take out the front glass as well as rust can hide in the bottom of the pillars even thought all looks well on the outside

i had a water leak in mine that was caused by a pin hold that had formed behind the seal

Worry not sonny Jim, it's going to be completely bare when it goes in for it's paint job 8)
Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" Frank Zappa

MALAM

Post by MALAM »

Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" Frank Zappa