996 wheel help please!!

Alloys, lowered, tinted or custom painted, in fact any custom work. Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bloodbath
80-90 Mem No: 2300

996 wheel help please!!

Post by Bloodbath »

got a 'set' of 205/50/17(2) and 255/40/17(2). i really would like to put these on my camper, i know the door wont fully open on the side, I hope to overcome this by extending the sliding hinge. these wheels aparrantly come off a 996 porsche, but I am not too sure. they appear to be turbo veins, or cup alloys. are they going to be a pain to put on, or should I get shot of them and get some that go on easier? I am trying to ask what spacers, but i think i should find out the offset first?? any help muchly appreciated. nic.

skeeb
80-90 Mem No: 1123

Post by skeeb »

check out the brick-yard guys - really helpful. there's a thread on what wheels fit etc

http://194.242.159.246/brickyard/forum/ ... =1290&PN=1
Skeeb
Memebr No 1123

Life is like a grinding wheel, it can polish you up or wear you down - it depends what you are made of !

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

17 inch 996 rims (also came on the boxster) came in 7 X 17's with a 55mm offset, 8.5 X17's with a 50mm offset and 9 X17's with a 52mm offset.

I'm guessing you have a set of 7's and 9's if they're from a 996.

With adpators they should bolt on well and the offset should be just about right. The adaptors which Machine 7 sell are 25mm thick so your offset is effectively reduced from 55 (up front) to 30mm and 52mm (at back) to 27mm. This is within accetable tolerances and you won't have any clearance problems front or rear with the tyres to suspension or bodywork.

You can use your original bolts/nuts to bolt the adaptors on but you'll need to buy bolts or nuts depending on whether you decide to go for bolts or nuts and studs. Machine 7 supply both. Obviously if you go for studs and nuts, you'll be able to use the proper Porsche magnesium wheel nuts which are designed for all 5X130 Porsche alloys.

I ran 8's on the back of my Panel van for a long time with 245's and I could open the sliding door. It brushed the tyre but nothing more so you might get away with it. Just don't drive with the door open!!

http://www.machine7.co.uk

I'm sure there are other suppliers of adaptors. This is just one company I have used without problems.

Oh.. on an aside, remember that your gearing will be altered by the wheel and tyre size. You will loose top speed, although acceleration will be slightly more brisk and your speedo will over read.

One more thing.. its a real pain having to remove the adaptor when you get a flat so grab a Porsche steel wheel from Ebay and stick a normal tyre on it for your spare instead of the Van one.

MG

Bloodbath
80-90 Mem No: 2300

Post by Bloodbath »

Harlequin Syncro..
Cheers geeza, just the sort of help I was after. Me bus is on the brickyard,( still bloodbath), so some pics of the mods soon to follow.