noisy exhaust on 2e conversion

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

wolfsbitz

noisy exhaust on 2e conversion

Post by wolfsbitz »

Hi all, i have recently put a mk3 golf gti 20. 2e engine in my van, i have hooked it up to the jx silencer, but its a bit noisy, as i use my van as a daily driver and on long journeys the constant moan gets on your nerves after a while, i tried ramming a db killer down the end of the box which toned it down a bit, but i was wondering if a 2.1 dj back box would make it even quieter, and if so will it bolt straight on the mounts/flanges, and if not how much work would be involved in transferring it, or any other ideas :D thanx in advance

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: noisy exhaust on 2e conversion

Post by Aidan »

wbx back box a lot more complex than the JX ones, some of which are nearly straight thro, MV back box is smaller than DJ one, almost same size as JX, but wbx ones have flange mating surface rather than sleeve type

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

wolfsbitz wrote:Hi all, i have recently put a mk3 golf gti 20. 2e engine in my van, i have hooked it up to the jx silencer, but its a bit noisy, as i use my van as a daily driver and on long journeys the constant moan gets on your nerves after a while, i tried ramming a db killer down the end of the box which toned it down a bit, but i was wondering if a 2.1 dj back box would make it even quieter, and if so will it bolt straight on the mounts/flanges, and if not how much work would be involved in transferring it, or any other ideas :D thanx in advance

Not a solution but just for information.
My mate had the same drone issues with his conversion so he cut and modified the Passat system from the donor.
A couple of photos

The tailpipe exits from the offside of the buss.

It is the quietest T3 that I've ever been in, at 100kmh all you can hear is the gearbox.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

at 100kmh all you can hear is the gearbox.

needs a rebuild then if you can hear it