t25 clutch safety switch

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pete5853
80-90 Mem No: 0

t25 clutch safety switch

Post by pete5853 »

Hi All
Newbie member,heres one for you,have t25 with golf 1z 1.9 tdi engine the other day starter motors main power lead from battery broke off starter connection and fried starter have replaced starter and the van starts ok,now heres the problem the incident has activated a clutch safety switch(i think) as the clutch pedal will only travel half way down,what is the location of the switch and how do i deactivate it so i can use the clutch ?
Can anyone help never seen this before

Cheers pete5853

dugcati
80-90 Mem No: 3825

Re: t25 clutch safety switch

Post by dugcati »

Ignoring automatic gearboxes......if it has a system like that then its a non standard install as far as I'm aware - the clutch system on these vans unless it's an early Aircooled is a hydraulic one with no electrical parts.

Doug
It is by will alone that I set my 'van' in motion!

pete5853

Post by pete5853 »

Hi
Thanks for that,so it looks like the slaveregards cylinder has seized feeling the plunger shaft it feels a bit on the rough side .

regards pete

dugcati
80-90 Mem No: 3825

Post by dugcati »

yea - thinking about it a bit more I wonder if the battery/alternator cable has shorted against the clutch slave it's possible it's arc'd inside and this is what is causing the part tradel (just a thought?!)

For the sake of £30.00 and the hassle of a failing slave unit I'd change it for a new one (did this very job on my bus last week as mine had died and leaked like billy'o!).

The process chopped down into a few steps!...

- The whole job is made much easier by removing the wheel.
- Once you remove the old one allow the fluid in the system to collect in the bowl etc (and then dispose of properly),
- Replace the slave unit and couple up the hydro lines
- Remove the cowl and sped cover on the dash board and fill the brake header tank unto the top (DOT 3 fluid)
- Now bleed the clutch using tabled nipple on the slave cylinder top
It is by will alone that I set my 'van' in motion!

pete5853

Post by pete5853 »

Hi
Thanks for input problem sorted,my fault didn't attach the rear slave cylinder bracket when i replaced starter motor so it was loose :oops: :oops: :oops:

regards pete