CR to AEF with drive by wire, anything tricky with this swap

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sword70
80-90 Mem No: 0

CR to AEF with drive by wire, anything tricky with this swap

Post by sword70 »

I have been offerd an AEF 1.9 engine out of a 98 caddy van, heard it running and all sounds and looks great but its got drive by wire throttle on it and not cable so not made a decision on buying it yet until i checked on here if its a tricky swap or easy enough to work around.
I can pretty much have all parts needed off of the caddy to make it run and no rush to do so either so i assume accelerator pedal and wiring would be needed and ECU?
As an alternative is there a cabled throttle pump that would work to keep things simple or is there any way to rip drive by wire out and hard mod in a cabled setup?

Any help much appreciated so i can let the old guy know if i am buying it or off hunting a 1Y engine instead

jtwhitestar
80-90 Mem No: 7865

Re: CR to AEF with drive by wire, anything tricky with this swap

Post by jtwhitestar »

this might be of help if not using ecu
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/topic ... tml#527511" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :ok
whitestar 19 n/a aef diesel

sword70
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: CR to AEF with drive by wire, anything tricky with this swap

Post by sword70 »

I have that link bookmarked from earlier which is a great help if the pump was normal but the one offered me is drive by wire so still a few odd bits to either workaround or swap over i guess.