1Y timing with adjustable pulley. New Video!!

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Re: 1Y sounds 'loose' and clatters?? Now fixed !!!

Post by ringo »

Brillaint news - well done for pushing it through and sorting it yourself. Its very rewarding isnt it!

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

peteabbott
80-90 Mem No: 4672

Post by peteabbott »

Well done Gary, pleased you got it sorted. How is the hill climb now ?
Pete Abbott

gaz f
80-90 Mem No: 6697

Post by gaz f »

Here is the proof of what it's like now guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3qCe0JC ... er&list=UL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You notice a big difference in the sound if you watch the 2 videos back to back.

pete, it can actually now hold 4th gear for almost 90% of the hill before I have to drop to 3rd. I'm very pleased with this as it's a good indication that once the DK box is in it should be able to tootle up at a respectable speed in 3rd gear. The bugger about the hill is you can't take a run at it as it's on the exit of a town and there is a speed camera after it starts to climb, with a run at it I reckon it wouldn't struggle at all.

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys! Hopefully this thread and the videos will help some other poor soul in the future.

All in all,I'm now one very happy 1Yer. :ok

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Re: 1Y timing with adjustable pulley. New Video!!

Post by nevill3 »

Thanks for the videos.....I now think my problem could be to do with the timing........such a great idea to post the videos......... :ok
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

am i seeing 2 alternators ?

and am i mistaken.. wernt you selling it a while ago ????
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

gaz f

Post by gaz f »

Weldore. Yes you are seeing 2 alternators, I swapped the set up over from my old engine. All the German army vans had them fitted and the brackets (proper VAG) for them go for very silly money. I did think about just putting 1 alternator on it but in the end decided to keep the set up, although it only actually uses 1 alternator at the moment as my main and leisure batterys are charging fine sharing the one alternator. One day I'll get around to sticking the leisure on it's own alternator.

I was selling the bus a couple of months back, it was coming up for TUV time, I was busy with other things and after working on it for 2 years doing the bodywork and interior I was to be honest getting a bit sick of the sight of the thing. So I had a wobble and put it up for sale. My wife would you believe was the one to make me see the error of my ways and keep it. She actually said that she and my 6yr old daughter would probably cry if I sold it on. So it stays. The ruddy thing has become part of the family!

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

i must say..it does sound sweeter mate :ok

yes..the initial work does take it out of you,dont it..but after that they are so cheap to own.. even if let them sit on the drive its a holiday or a day out just waiting for you . and they do give you something to tinker with when your bored

what are the uses of a twin alt setup then gaz ???
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

gaz f

Post by gaz f »

Weldore, from what I could find out they prefered to run all the eqipment batterys from it's own dedicated alternator instead of sharing the main batterys one. I suppose even on short journeys the batterys get charged a lot quicker. :ok