diesel to petrol swap

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

natscape
80-90 Mem No: 5306

diesel to petrol swap

Post by natscape »

Hi, I have a 1984 T25 FITTED WITH A 1.9 GOLF DIESEL ENGINE. Due to low emission zone hitting London in January, I have to replace the engine or the van. Does any one know what alternative engine I can use?
Would a petrol golf engine fit, and would I need to replace the gear box? ( mine has 4 speeds)
Nat.

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Re: diesel to petrol swap

Post by billy739 »

various engines , some will bolt straight up , but the inlet will need modifying , carb/ injectors - wiring-ect

gearbox will work no probs but it will be undergeared for a petol engine.

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

I'd be doing a search on here about LEZ first - most people are finding that because the T25 is under 2.5 ton they are exempt. Save you a lot of hassle...

The 2E golf engine seems to be the popular engine of choice if you did want to do it - plenty of people on Brickyard have done this....

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

After writing to the lez about the non compliance records which should have been compliant they have amended it.I took a pict of the vin plate showing the gross vehicle weight under 2500kg.