JX to 1Y teething prolems - clutch whistle? buzzer etc!

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Re: JX to 1Y teething prolems - clutch whistle? buzzer etc!

Post by weldore »

is the wire on the sender blue/white ?..im colourblind but our lass says its blue..if it is ,its wrong if its part of the original loom that should run to the top hose housing sender for the glow plugs
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

weldore

Post by weldore »

i suspect your oil pressure warning light is running of the wrong sender ,so the oil pump set up might be ok

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

Sorry to here about the troubles with the 1Y.I fitted the same engine to my camper its a shame we are not close as i could help you out.Anyway here is my six penny worth.The guy said it was fitted with a 1Y oil pump ask him if that included the sump pick up from the 1Y as allready said that will cause low oil preasure.If you have any doubt about the pick up i would suggest you drop the sump.Its not to hard a job provided a few cautions are taken.Untighten the gearbox bolts to the sump then undo the bolts surrounding the sump.Once all the bolts are loose undo and support the sump as its lowered.There are two types of gaskets for the sump one is baffled called windage and it can be tricky to get it off the sump and out of the engine crankcase as there is a tray with the gasket its bolted between the sump & block .Its a fiddle to get this type of gasket away once the sump is off as seems to get stuck inside the engine but it will come out.The other type is a flat gasket with no tray and fits between the block and the sump where its bolted up.So if you do decide to take the sump off ask the guy about the what type of gasket he fitted.A brand new oil pump with pick up is only about £50.00 try Mr Baxter at brickwerks.If you change the oil pump its only two bolts but torque up to correct value .Caution is required when refitting the sump use only a plain gasket not windage and bolt up the 10mm sump bolts WITHOUT THEM BEING TIGHT then fit the gearbox sump bolts and tighten .Then only after the gearbox sump bolts have been tighten you can then fully tighten the surrounding 10mm socket size bolts for the sump.The reason for caution is that the sump can be cracked if not following this proccedure.The whistle i think is the aternator& water pump 1Y pulley ribbed belt pulley set up it might have the free wheeling device and some makes a noise like a turbo .
Last edited by camper on 06 Sep 2011, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

weldore

Post by weldore »

i might be wrong here but i had the impression the golf strainer wouldnt fit into the t25 wedge shaped sump as it would hit the bottom of it before you could get any studs in.

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

I have just read again what ewenmaclean said about takeing off the oil flller pipe which is bolted to the sump.And agree that would be an option to see where the oil pick up is.I was having troubles with the 1Y oil pressure some time ago i took off the oil filler and looked through the hole with a pen light torch.It turned out the gauze on the oil pick up was clogged with silicon gasket remains.

weldore

Post by weldore »

can you guys confirm that his wiring is wrong..the one to the oil pressure sender on the head and the one to the glowplug one?

also we cant see by the photo's if there is a fusible link intact in the black hell box of wires...and i dunno what that electrical component is with all the wires coming out of it..its not on mine,but mine wasnt the same engine as the jx originally

psychonaut
80-90 Mem No: 6751

Post by psychonaut »

Hello - the red and yellow wire is the wire to the temperature gauge from the head. The blue and white wire is the one to the temp sensor for the glow plugs. Give me 5 mins to go and have a look in mine and I'll tell you which wire is the oil pressure one :ok
"There are many paths to redemption.
Not all of them are peaceful...."

Click here for some Visionary 'Nauts.....

For more unchartered heights of disgrace just ring 07872 069462

psychonaut

Post by psychonaut »

The wire to the oil pressure sender is black and green :)

weldore

Post by weldore »

he's wired up wrong,isnt he

psychonaut

Post by psychonaut »

Regarding the oil pump, I bought one from Brickwerks and fitted that last year when I cracked my sump being cack-handed. Not too expensive, and I know it's designed for the job and good quality. I've also got that "baffle" thingy fitted inside my sump with no adverse effects.

psychonaut

Post by psychonaut »

weldore wrote:he's wired up wrong,isnt he
He's proper wired up wrong - it's a Somerset thing :rofl :rofl :rofl

As it's all fresh in my mind from my shenanigans last weekend, I'll sort him out this Saturday if he is able to get to Bristol to meet me :ok

weldore

Post by weldore »

so is yours fixed now greg? you never said

my conclusion...

im inclined to think that the wireing is wrong and thats the problem with the glowplugs and the oil pressure.
the alternator is a standard one(no clutch) from the pics..so it could be a noisey belt or...the thrust bearing should have been replaced..but these can go on for a long time if you dont mind the noise.
Last edited by weldore on 06 Sep 2011, 21:26, edited 2 times in total.

psychonaut

Post by psychonaut »

I don't know for sure until I can either borrow a new sensor, or fit the new flange Mike is sending me and use two different sensors, one for the temp gauge and one for the glow-plugs. But I'm confident it will once I've done that. I didn't get chance to get down to the breakers today to see if I could find a sensor like the one I've got, and I'm away tomorrow and Thursday in Liverpool, but maybe on Friday I'll try that pending the fitting of the new flange :D :ok

weldore

Post by weldore »

mmmmm...flange :mrgreen:

jetpacjimmy
80-90 Mem No: 9342

Post by jetpacjimmy »

All this talk of flange and wrong wiring has cheered me up no end, thank you! The whine/whistle/squeek only happens when I engage the clutch whilst decelerating. I'm also not sure if I trust that the spigot bearing is in place, is there any way to check without removing the engine?

Could I clarify, what sender do I need if the 1Y pump is fitted, an original JX sender or something else? I'm quite happy to spend £50 on a kit from Brickwerks if it cures my ills. Pschonaut should I get that before Saturday or is that beyond what's possible in that time?

Thanks for the advice on the sump removal camper, to be brutally honest I could probably drain the oil and get the sump off but I'd be lost as I don't have a torque wrench or a tame mechanic to borrow from. Then theres problem of being left without a vehicle if I mess it up, which I would!

Below are a couple of before and after videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqoJHvzl ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLbU8Z0f2S0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;