Worrying Runaway Engine

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

peteabbott
80-90 Mem No: 4672

Worrying Runaway Engine

Post by peteabbott »

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=1490.15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was thinking of opening up the blanking plate next to the vacuum pump and fitting a second breather as on my 1Y I only have a breather off the rockerbox. The reason I was going to do this is because she sometimes spits her dipstick out, something I cannot explain as the engine is in really good condition...........comp test all good and she uses no oil.
I have seen 1Y,s with breathers fitted from the crankcase then tee,d into the rockerbox. Comments anyone please ?
Pete Abbott

peteabbott

Runaway Engine

Post by peteabbott »

Also posted in Alternative.

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=1490.15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was thinking of opening up the blanking plate next to the vacuum pump and fitting a second breather as on my 1Y I only have a breather off the rockerbox. The reason I was going to do this is because she sometimes spits her dipstick out, something I cannot explain as the engine is in really good condition...........comp test all good and she uses no oil.
I have seen 1Y,s with breathers fitted from the crankcase then tee,d into the rockerbox. Comments anyone please ?
Pete Abbott

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Re: Worrying Runaway Engine

Post by weldore »

get one fitted pete..they came with them so they must need them.even agg's the petrol version of this engine needed a crank breather
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

psychonaut
80-90 Mem No: 6751

Post by psychonaut »

Deffo fit one, as Wellie said :ok
"There are many paths to redemption.
Not all of them are peaceful...."

Click here for some Visionary 'Nauts.....

For more unchartered heights of disgrace just ring 07872 069462

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

this is mine

the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Re: Runaway Engine

Post by kit »

Why do you think that would stop the pressure in the sump?
1y Tin top rust collector.

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Post by ewenmaclean »

There's been lots of discussion about whether the breather pipe from the CCV valve to the block is needed, and some people put on a blanking plate. Blow-by from the cylinders, and also the discharge into the block of vacuum pump should be vented ok by the rocker cover CCV valve as there is venting between the head and block.

Are you absolutely sure your CCV is functioning properly and not blocked in any way? You must have a single port one if you don't have the tee to the block.

I do agree with weldore that vw designed the extra vent pipe (often with oil separator but not always) between the head and block for the 1y (and 1z - same on mine), so they must have done it for a reason. I believe it was because the design of the engine meant that the vacuum pump discharging had an immediate point where the pressure could be released, and not just at the head. The CCV itself has a regulator spring and diaphragm inside which is designed to release pressure from the relevant point. I can't profess to understand exactly why some vw diesels have this pipe and some don't but I reckon it's there for a good reason!

Prazeanbeeble
80-90 Mem No: 9842

Post by Prazeanbeeble »

Blocking that breather on my 1y caused :shock: it to eat it's piston rings. There should be a plastic breather hose running up to the rocker cover, otherwise it will have monster oil pressure and will spew like a demented dragon.....anyway, that engine i had is now scrap, i had to fit another...!
The plastic hose from crankcase to rocker is standard vw fitment, they are available new on ebay for 20 notes......
If the engine 'aint in the back, it's cack!

peteabbott

Post by peteabbott »

Thankyou boys, a stitch in time then eh ? Will look on fleabay now thanks.
Pete Abbott

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Post by kit »

Had to go out and check mine had a breather tube, thanks for the tip.
1y Tin top rust collector.

peteabbott

Post by peteabbott »

Thanks a lot for the pics and advice. I also posted this in the Mech section and apparently they have the said pipe on Fleabay for twenty quid so my homework for tonight is to search fleabay...........now how the hell do I find that ? Thanks again, will report back.

And Ewan, all I have at the moment is a seperator on the rocker box. little round plastic bit with wire mesh in it so almost straight through with no valves or anything. Thats how the engine came so I thought it was standard fitting but must have bee previously messed about with BUT all will be very well soon now that I am armed with the correct info. Thanks
Last edited by peteabbott on 04 Sep 2011, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Abbott

poshbuggers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by poshbuggers »

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)

peteabbott

Post by peteabbott »

well done that man. Brilliant thankyou :ok
Pete Abbott

peteabbott

Post by peteabbott »

AND......Welly I can now see the mod on your vacuum pump NRV .....nice !
Pete Abbott

poshbuggers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by poshbuggers »

peteabbott wrote:well done that man. Brilliant thankyou :ok

I have few skills, but my best is an ability to find things - be it people, information or parts! Glad to be of help :-)

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)