1Y running rough after injectors have been out

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

psychonaut
80-90 Mem No: 6751

1Y running rough after injectors have been out

Post by psychonaut »

Afternoon all. I have a rough-running 1 Y, and having tried the basics to sort it, I now need some assistance please.

Yesterday I took off the fuel feed pipes from the fuel pump (Bosch) to the injectors, and also removed the two injectors nearest the rear of the van, to change the glow-plus as the ones I had were knackered. I then replaced the injectors (without changing the flame traps underneath them, which I fear I may now come to regret) and all associated pipework. On restarting the engine, I opened the fuel pipe union on each injector in turn to bleed them, and then opened the banjo on the fuel return pipe in order to ensure any air was expelled. This produced plenty of fuel, some of it "frothy".

On restarting, the engine is running fine at idle, although with a pronounced "knocking" or "popping" sound. When the throttle is advanced, the rev increase is accompanied by a quick burst of black smoke (which whilst not unusual from a diesel, wasn't there before) and a sound that I can only compare to a loud rattle (not dissimilar to a gattling gun but of course not as loud or violent!!), which diminishes when the revs are stable. There is however, some vibration from the engine, at both idle and across the rev range.

Am I running on less than the four, and is this *possibly* because I've cooked an injector or two by not replacing the flame traps on the two cylinders that I removed the injectors from?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer
"There are many paths to redemption.
Not all of them are peaceful...."

Click here for some Visionary 'Nauts.....

For more unchartered heights of disgrace just ring 07872 069462

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Re: 1Y running rough after injectors have been out

Post by camper »

That rattling noise is called nailing due the spray pattarn interfered by damage or carbon in the injector nozzle.I suggest removing the two injectors you fitted without the heat sheilds them dismantle them carefully and clean up any residues.Refit with heat sheilds and try again to see if it runs okay.Ive had the same problem with the 1y engine when i removed some injectors but once dismantled and clean all was okay.If you take an injector apart you need to unscrew the body remember which way the spring and shim is fitted with the inner nozzle.

psychonaut
80-90 Mem No: 6751

Re: 1Y running rough after injectors have been out

Post by psychonaut »

Thanks buddy for the quick reply, I'll get cleaning those injectors!!

I'll make sure I replace the heat shields this time too. Are they likely to be a main dealer only item? I know I can get them from Brickwerks, but do you know if there's any chance of me getting them from anywhere else on a Bank Holiday weekend?

Thanks again :ok
"There are many paths to redemption.
Not all of them are peaceful...."

Click here for some Visionary 'Nauts.....

For more unchartered heights of disgrace just ring 07872 069462