fitting diesel engine

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CraigSagar
80-90 Mem No: 9074

fitting diesel engine

Post by CraigSagar »

finally got round to fitting the diesel engine into my van but found the flat mounting plates on the engine bars that fit to the rear cross member have four holes each side for bolts but the cross member is only deep enough for 2 bolts each side and the top two are not being used which makes the engine bars not look strong enough is this right or is there something missing.

lhd
80-90 Mem No: 1808

Re: fitting diesel engine

Post by lhd »

Have you got the extra plate bit? see on my ebay listing.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130566262613? ... 1558.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

look at the smaller pics.
Rob.

CraigSagar
80-90 Mem No: 9074

Post by CraigSagar »

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I have got the seperate plate not sure what it actually does obviously it fits on what I am calling the front of the engine bars not sure whether its left or right but the flat plates at the back have 4 holes each but there is only 2 threaded holes each side of the rear cross member to bolt these to and the top 2 holes have nothing which does not seem strong enough
did yours have 8 bolts at the back or just 4
very grateful for any help you can give me

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

what year is your van ?, there are early and late diesel set ups and the engine mounts are different because they ran different gearboxes, early 1.6 n/a built upto end of 1982 (ie may well be 1983 registered) had the Aircooled gearbox (091) with a diesel bellhousing etc... after that they have the watercooled gearbox (091/1 4 speed 094 5 speed) which are longer so the position of the engine and the mounting of the brackets changed