Starter motor/ Flywheel problems

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ryanapper
80-90 Mem No: 0

Starter motor/ Flywheel problems

Post by ryanapper »

I've just fitted a brand new starter mortor to my AGG gti converted van. The van has never been started so i turned it over for the first time and it made a pretty bad churning noice, it looks like the starter is just skimming the top of the flywheel. Is it possible that i have the wrong flywheel? or am i missing something?

Cheers

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Re: Starter motor/ Flywheel problems

Post by ELVIS »

you back from hols now chap?

Fitted a JX flywheel?

ryanapper

Post by ryanapper »

Yea im back now. Time to get this bus sorted!

Well i assume i have a JX flywheel as that is what i was told, i didn't measure it before it went in to be honest which wasn't to clever, but is there any other flywheel that would fit but be to small? could i have a petrol waterboxer flywheel on there?

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

JX flywheel is obviously compatable with JX bellhousing and starter.

Could be one of a few things , flywheel to small so starter not engaging , possibly flywheel to big - big enough to fit in bell housing but so starter dosnt mesh so its hitting side of ring gear, ring gear in 'wrong place' so starter not meshing with it etc etc. Im not an anorak TBH (or clarevoyant)

What clutch you using ? What flywheel you using/ or think your using ? :ok

ryanapper

Post by ryanapper »

Yea im using a diesel clutch. Im pretty sure its a diesel flywheel but can not be certain. i don't know if theres anyway of telling if its by looking in the timing hole in the bell housing? If not i guess its enngine out and measure it.

transporT3

Post by transporT3 »

Friction surface should measure 217mm, flywheel alone 255mm, including ring-gear 280mm :ok

ryanapper

Post by ryanapper »

I make all my measurements the same, apart from the ring gear, mine measures 276mm, which would explain it not engaging. Maybe the ring gear had been replaced in the past on this perticular flywheel.