1.9dg into a 2.1dj Syncro : Help!

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bikermike87
80-90 Mem No: 7559

1.9dg into a 2.1dj Syncro : Help!

Post by bikermike87 »

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to do a bit of planning...
My 1989 2wd 1.9dg is suffering from a fair bit of rust and doesnt owe me anything. it has 102k miles and drives so smoothly and without any effort.

My 1991 4x4 syncro 2.1dj is running ok, just feels like it might need an upgrade or a swap soon.

I'm on a fairly tight budget and I will be paying a mates garage to do it for me (but im hoping to maybe help so I can learn).

So, could I drop the two vans off at my friends garage and he could easily do a swap?
What other parts could I pinch of my 2wd for spares? standard gearbox and assembly(dropping the "g" gear on a syncro)
radiator?

How much work is involved? Should I just buy a recon from vege and be done with it?!

Any advice or help welcomed!
https://www.facebook.com/ChefCampers/
1991 Syncro Westfalia Atlantic 2.1MV

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: 1.9dg into a 2.1dj Syncro : Help!

Post by lloydy »

You can't swap the gearbox, unless of course you want to go 2WD? If your scrapping the 2WD, keep things like the driveshafts/CVJ's as they swap over. Radiators do as well, though you would probably be better off selling the 2WD and using the money to fix the 2.1 as you'll be taking quite a jump down in HP
Lloyd
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

bikermike87

Post by bikermike87 »

Not sure I could seel the 2wd, too attached, it was my first :oops:
if it becomes part of the syncro, then in my eyes, i would have a van with a bit of the original in it.

Maybe I should just stick with my DJ and get it checked out, make sure timming is correct and give it a full service and pop it on the rolling road to see what BHP I'm actually getting. Then if it's bad, I shall look at a recon, keep it simple.

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

save up and get a tencent WBX imported from the states :pimp

bikermike87

Post by bikermike87 »

I' m looking at about 4k right?
I believe he's one of the best, not sure if i could afford that much. Saying that, a tdi must be close to that, (garage to do the whole job)

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

yep probably about that, and i'd go TDI if i had that sort of money

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Whats actually wrong with the 2.1??? A jolly good sevice and health check would be the best way to start..
IMHO it would be really silly going from a 2.1 to 1.9 unless its a desperate move to keep rolling... (having owned a 1.9 DG syncro for the last 6 years....)

Not much of the 2wd will go in the syncro..

A tencent engine will cost more I reckon.. shipping, core charge and duty to pay...

Now if some people want a "blueprinted" 2.1 engine.. then thats possible for quite a bit less than 4k... But I cant afford to give up my day job just yet...

Plans are in place, but the demand has to be there... Currently it isnt..... Yet..... :wink:

Going TDi from petrol is also gonna be a lot of work and I reckon would cost more.....

bikermike87

Post by bikermike87 »

I think it's just me being paranoid. I've had 1500 trouble free miles!

I've ordered absolutely everything for a full service, my new tyres have also dramatically improved general performance.

What else can I do for a health check, should I be asking a garage to do an oil pressure test?
The van came with a dial but it's not connected and I have found an easy guide yet....

I would love a blue print 2.1 imagine how good it would have felt driving a new syncro out the garage. If I ever won the lottery, that would be my first task.