TDI ECU Question

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

fufflenarnia

TDI ECU Question

Post by fufflenarnia »

Hi All,

In the header to this forum it mentions that:

1.9TDI

There are a bewildering array of VW 1.9TDI engines, from 90bhp upwards to 150bhp. Early units are basic electronic TDI, later make even greater use of electronics for smoother running and economy. If you are going electronic be aware that if the donor is 96 onwards you will need to have the ECU from that engine and ignition key, barrel and clocks, or have got the integrated security 'burnt out' of the ECU.

I can't find any mention of how you guys have dealt with this - any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Steve
Last edited by fufflenarnia on 20 Aug 2011, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.

big red bus
80-90 Mem No: 3421

Re: TDI ECU Question

Post by big red bus »

Dealt with what I have to ask?

It says it all in the paragraph. either fit factory wiring and ecu's, key, clocks, etc or have the immobiliser removed from ecu. Plenty of places that will remove immob from ecu if not wanting to fit key, clocks etc

fufflenarnia

Post by fufflenarnia »

Sorry, you're right, I wasn't very clear.

So I guess there are 2 questions to answer:

If I don't burn the security out of the ECU, what do you do with the clocks, ignition, etc... - fit them to the bus and replace the existing stuff? or stick them in a box somewhere in the van, connected and working?

How much does it cost (roughly) to burn out the security from the ECU? Where do I look for someone to do it? Can anyone recommend anyone near Redhill, Surrey who can do it at a sensible price?

Many thanks

Steve

big red bus
80-90 Mem No: 3421

Post by big red bus »

De-coding the ecu should cost around £50-£80 imo. May have to do by posting it away. Try searching the interweb for immobiliser removal on vw ecu. should turn someone up. Think awesome gti do it but try searching.

If you want to run with out immobilser remover it depends on what engine and year engine you use. Most require key, ignition barrel, key reader if coded key around the ign barrel, clocks because some years have immob on the back of the clocks. There may be more but it's been a while since I was doin mk2 golf engine conversions and these require roughly the same.

If you want it work well and be reliable imo it is best to fit everything required to the vehicle. May take time and need some stuff modifying to make it fit well but will be better in the long run.