1y engine conversion - which gearbox?

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kingkhung
80-90 Mem No: 9307

1y engine conversion - which gearbox?

Post by kingkhung »

Hello again fellow T25 lovers,
I've recently bought a 1Y engine to convert from a 1.6d 4speed. The 1Y ive bought has been fitted with a 1Z flywheel and a 02A cable change 5 speed gearbox. Its a fantastic looking engine (havnt had a chance to play with it yet) that came out of a golf or a jetta I think and everything seems to be in great shape but my question is -
Is it possible to use the gearbox that came with the engine?
If so I know i'm going to have to get a new gearstick and associated attachments, does this include replacing all linkage or is it the same linkage for 4 speed and 5 speed?
Any help would be fantastic. Its quite likely that i'm going to do the unspeakable and pay someone to fit the new engine but i would like to go in knowing exactly whats possible.
Thanks for any advice offered
Leo :ok

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: 1y engine conversion - which gearbox?

Post by Plasticman »

well leo, if it came mated to the 5sp then I would assume it was running with that previously?
if so then you will need the linkage from a 5sp,that is plate on side of box nr selector, rods to front with fittings, also the shift box and gearstick,
mike

kingkhung

Post by kingkhung »

Cheers for response mike, took it to a couple of VW mechanics yesterday and got same answer from both "anythings possible". But it seems like a lot of work so think i'm going to stay with my reliable old 4 speed, hasnt let me down yet better the devil you know and all that, probably just refresh all the linkage bushes n bits. From what I understand the 4 speed and 5 speed have the same ratio high and low gears but 5 speed just has more in-between, can anyone confirm this as i'm not 100% sure if i'm right. If this is so i'm just going to plow on and keep current gearbox.

Leo

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

its not a lot of work but it is 'work' if you follow, I would stay with a known good 4sp, stronger box and no prob with the 1y
mike
linky someplace for the box rations on brickyard

kingkhung

Post by kingkhung »

Thanks for the brickyard link Mike, checked it out and confirmed my latest plan. Get my nice new engine in, keep my good old workhorse of a gear box and chug along like I always have (hopefully a little speedier up hill). From what I can make out there's very little difference at the top end of the 5 speed and the 4 speed, certainly dont think its worth all the effort of searching for a new gearbox and linkage for the change. Cheers for helping the decision process along, I'm just so bloody indecisive I might start living by the dice.
:ok

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

I think youve made the right choice, Ive a 1y waiting to go in but as the old lump is fine then no point, dont froget to make sure youve a spigot bearing in the crank :shock:
mike

kingkhung

Post by kingkhung »

Cheers for the advice mike, definitely decided to keep my 4 speed. Will update n let you know how it all goes. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, it seems cruel to pull out the old girls still beating heart but it just hasnt got the oomph that i need. I'm just too bloody indecisive :ok

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

My advice is dont bother changing it until your 1.6d goes pop. The torque increase is evident but not worth changing a good engine in my experience.

I have successfully installed a 5 speed box using 4 speed linkages. I just had to make a few minor changes to the selector under the gear stick to enable first gear to engage.

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

did your changes get rid of the 'push it in' to get into 1st Ringo ?
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)