stalling problem 1.9 diesel

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

farmhouse

stalling problem 1.9 diesel

Post by farmhouse »

hi there,

i posted on here a week or two back about power loss problems with my 1.9 diesel van, which was rectified quite simply with new fuel filter and fuel line . . however, since that time i havn't driven it much except for to the shop and back around the corner . .

yesterday, i started it up and drove about a hundred yards down the road before it spluttered and coughed and gave up. .. then it wouldn't start again immediately, but after a minute it did, sounded fine, with power . . but then the same thing happened . . and then again, and again . .

if i leave it idling, the same thing happens.. it sounds fine and revs with power, but after a minute or two it splutters and dies . .

could this be related to the work carried out by the garage who put new fuel filter and fuel line on . . ?

it is dropping a lot of oil and if i hold the revs high it starts to smoke and dump more oil . .

i know it's a long shot, but any thoughts would be really appreciated on this sunday. . i'm stuck in the south of france and to top it off i also had my wallet and phone nicked yesterday . . hey-ho, the van is my biggest concern . .

in advance, thanks

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Re: stalling problem 1.9 diesel

Post by kit »

Might be air in the line, make sure everything is tight, jubilee clips ect.
1y Tin top rust collector.

farmhouse

Post by farmhouse »

yeh air in the line was the problem before (apparently) . . but now the symptoms are different . .

got a guy having a look at it later . . any more suggestions/thoughts would be good . . thanks

kit

Post by kit »

Fit a non return valve between filter and pump it stops any run back.

farmhouse

Post by farmhouse »

would 'run back' be a cause of the stalling as i described?

kit

Post by kit »

The stalling sounds like air I am afraid, but the valve ensures there is always fuel at the pump.

farmhouse

Post by farmhouse »

when i had air before, i could see it because i had a transparent hose attached .. . but the replacement the garage put on is not ..

what should i do to check or rectify the situation of air in the hose . . ?

thanks for your help kit.

kit

Post by kit »

Fit one of those inline filters, the plastic transparent ones then you can keep an eye on the fuel, and just ensure everything is tight.