Bellhousing Question

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mr2pep
80-90 Mem No: 0

Bellhousing Question

Post by mr2pep »

Hi to the forum, new member here. Looking for a little bit of help and encouragement.

I have a 1984 1.9 panel van. Was a petrol, but in the middle of an AAZ conversion. If the picture posting goes to plan there should be a pic of the engine here:

It's been fully rebuilt by myself, new gaskets and bolts and so on. I'm now ready to concentrate on the flywheel and clutch assembly. I've read that many forum posts that I can't remember where I saw what anymore! So to my question,
is there more than one type of diesel bellhousing? I seem to remember a post about replacing the starter motor bush in the bellhousing, however my bellhousing seems to have no provision for a bush, so are there different types of bellhousing or have I remembered something wrongly?

Cheers, in advance for any help. Paul.

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Re: Bellhousing Question

Post by Hacksawbob »

Nice looking engine! The diesel and petrol bell housings are different. The petrol has the bush and the starter is on the off side. On a diesel the end of the starter has the support for the bearing built in, it mounts just to the near side of top centre.
member 1168

mr2pep

Post by mr2pep »

Thanks for the reply, I have the diesel bellhousing have attached a pic of the starter mount looking into the housing and I can't see a support for the starter. Is it missing the support or is it normal?

Cheers.

mr2pep

Post by mr2pep »

Sorry, should learn to read before posting, the starter has the support built in. Got it now, lol. Means the starter I got with the conversion stuff was the wrong sort as it doesn't have the support built in. Any ideas what starter I need to be looking for?

Thanks, again.

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

You need a specific diesel starter motor listed at ie JK or GSF for JX.As petrol engine is diffrent to diesel starter listed on manufacturer retailers for VW T25 models as you proberly no with your rebuild.