New Engine Big Trouble

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Toff54

New Engine Big Trouble

Post by Toff54 »

Hi guys. Really hope you can give me some advice on this one.

I've had a 1.6 td ra engine put into my 87 club joker and i'm having a nightmare. Was supposed to pick the van up last week but they been tinkering and now they call me up today. " It's running starting alright etc but lot of black smoke which I'm guessing is over fueling and it just dosn't wanna tick over right keeps cutting out" I took the ra engine down a couple of weeks ago and as it was just a short block they have transferred everything from the jx to the ra so pulleys and fuel pump injecters. it's had new belts and filters he's blown through all the injecters and was really looking forward to getting it back today until this phone call. The mechanic is stumpped so thought I'd come to the fountain of knowledge (flattery will get you everywhere :wink: ) anyway does anyone know if the fuel pump or pulleys or anything that could be on there wouldn't cross over from the jx to the ra. just sounds like it's not set up right and didn't know if the timing belts or fuel pump or something isn't right for the engine.

PLEASE ADVISE said I'd call the guy back tomorrow if I got anything from here

Thanks again

Mat

Toff54

Re: New Engine Big Trouble

Post by Toff54 »

Or does it sound like i'm clutching at straws??

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

would have thought it was a fairly straight swap they are pretty much the same engine, so probably pump timing issue ? but then the RA is as old as the JX so could just be tired too

Toff54

Post by Toff54 »

Aidan wrote:would have thought it was a fairly straight swap they are pretty much the same engine, so probably pump timing issue ? but then the RA is as old as the JX so could just be tired too

Cheers for that having the fuel pump tested for any broken seals on monday hopefully will just be something like that

fingers crossed!!