T25 engine swap

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

david oakford
80-90 Mem No: 0

T25 engine swap

Post by david oakford »

Hi everyone , the 1600cc CS diesel engine in my T25 is at the end of its life and have brought an AEF engine from a local car breakers
the guy recons it will fit , i have seen some posts saying a 1Y engine fits and wiki shows the engines in the same section , are these engines the same and will it fit ?

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: T25 engine swap

Post by colinthefox »

The AEF engine is similar to the 1Y, using similar block, so it bolts straight onto the gearbox and engine mounts. The injector pump is Lucas though, not Bosch, and the water pump is different. The AEF engine should give excellent results.

This post http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/16cs- ... KW=#428158 on the Brickyard gives all the details you will need to do the transfer. read it thoroughly BEFORE you buy the engine, as you will need the water pump, alternator and PAS pump (and some other bits) with the engine. And you MUST fit a spigot bearing. The post tells all.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on progress.

Rereading your post, I see you have already bought the engine, so you'll need to go back and buy the extra bits!
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

david oakford
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: T25 engine swap

Post by david oakford »

Hi colin , thankyou so much for posting the link , the engine we brought is complete even down to the air filter , have just read thru the fitting instuctions on the link and it all seems alot less worrying now and sounds like we,ll get more useable camper van too , will hopefully be starting the swap this weekend , have roped in the help of my old man who,s a toolmaker so i,ll con him into doing all modifications and brackets , thankyou for your help , david