Mystery idle stabilizer, ECU or something else?

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

leo8
80-90 Mem No: 0

Mystery idle stabilizer, ECU or something else?

Post by leo8 »

Three weeks touring, van engine sweet as a nut.

Back home two days, started the van up it sounded as though it was firing on two or three plugs. Something very serious had happened.

It was discovered that the Idle stabilizer unit not working, on T25 camper van.

To test out this fact a person with the same camper van (T25, fuel injection, water cooled, 1991) took the idle stabilizer unit out of his van, and put it in mine, it did not work in my van, van just backfired and rattled and rolled.

My blown idle stabilizer unit was put in his van, it did not work

The garage chap, shorted my van out and made it a complete open circuit, bypassing the ECU, and it ran perfectly.

They put the idle stabilizer unit, taken from this chaps van, back in his camper van and his van ran perfectly once again with his own unit back in place.

Something else must have blown apart from the idle stabilizer unit perhaps in the ECU???

Does anyone have any ideas, or similar experience. ??
leo8 :run

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Re: Mystery idle stabilizer, ECU or something else?

Post by toomanytoys »

What engine?? is this an alternative engine or standard wbx?? if standard, wrong forum area..

If a wbx 2.1, But "shorting" or bypassing the ecu (which is different to the idle stabiliser) the engine wouldnt run at all..

The idle stabilisers are not very good with age, so the 2 plugs that go into them are often joined (as is required to time the ignition correctly), this removes the idle sabilier from the system, often a slight tweak up on the idle speed adjustment is needed to compensate, but not always..

It would be odd for a working one not to work on yours.. that could indicate a wiring fault, but that would also mean it shouldnt run smooth bypassed..