Swapping the water pump AAZ engine

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

syklist
80-90 Mem No: 0

Swapping the water pump AAZ engine

Post by syklist »

Hello

The happy life of a Syncro owner continues. Now in Holland with a leaking water pump. I have managed to find a new pump, just the front part of the pump not the housing as well.

I've had a quick look round the engine and it looks like the cam belt cover will have to come off. Do the alternator and its mounting brackets have to come off too?

Any other useful tips, hidden bolts or extra tricky things you have to get at?

E D I T: any suggestions as to how long it will take to do the swap? The pump is leaking from the shaft and has just started leaking. Is there a good chance that the van will make it back to Norway before the pump dies completely?

Thanks in advance

Stan

syklist

Re: Swapping the water pump AAZ engine

Post by syklist »

OK now I'm really stuck.

I started by taking the timing belt cover off, only to discover there is a second small cover round what appears to be the belt tensioner. How on earth do you get this second cover off? Do you have to take off the timing belt to get the cover off?

I'm trying to replace just the front side of the pump, not the pump complete with the housing behind it.

syklist

Post by syklist »

Looks like the only possibility of doing this in the time frame is to buy a full pump. The complete pump including rear housing can apparently be slid out sideways without having to move that crap little black piece of plastic. But this means removing the alternator, alternator support and power steering pump from the engine block. More crap.

Next van is a going to be wasserboxer or an air-cooled one.

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

I've swapped the pump before without taking off the cam belt cover. The water pump is on the other side of the engine.

Take off the alternator and alternator mounting bracket - the water pump is below it.

Can be a bit fiddly to take off the alternator bracket but doable with a 3/8" socket set and extension bar.

Good luck,

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.